• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official Britain has triggered article 50 thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    just as clever as saying its about time you bought a round to the third highest contributor to your 27 person rounds.
    It's very clever when this 4th highest contributor is known to want some drinks in the near future and the establishment can decide what surcharge to levy from that former 4th highest contributor, if I was them I'd make sure that leaving member pays a lot more in the future to reduce everybody else's payments, should be easy thing to agree with the remaining 26 members.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Will it be triggered? I think May is tulipting herself and will keep on delaying it...
      Everyone will be asleep I reckon..

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Everyone knows she agreed with herself to trigger A50 by the end of the month. So why delay until the end of the month?
        It would have made sense to announce it on Sunday when markets are closed, but those incompetents won't even get right this simple thing...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Everyone will be asleep I reckon..
          Managed 11 minutes before loosing the will. How they'll manage two years of this is beyond me.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I read something scarey in The Times - the food industry wants to pass a bill that will allow them to put lies on food labels which the EU said they couldn't because their is no scientific evidence.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Managed 11 minutes before loosing the will. How they'll manage two years of this is beyond me.
              Participants will be paid £1000 per day, plus all expenses, outside of IR350!

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I read something scarey in The Times - the food industry wants to pass a bill that will allow them to put lies on food labels which the EU said they couldn't because their is no scientific evidence.
                You got it wrong - they would not be telling lies, they would be exercising their right to free speech that EU taken away from them!

Comment

1) Inform the European Union of the intention to depart, per Article 50.

2) EU tell us they'd like to discuss the small matter of the rights of EU citizens in Britain, and the other small matter of €30-60bn of commitments made (e.g. pensions, the cohesion fund)

3) An agreement is made to secure the rights of EU citizens already in the UK and UK citizens already in the EU. Further agreement on visa free travel for tourism, and visa free work rights for a long list of trades from lettuce pickers to doctors, with no permanent right to remain. Certain trades would be excluded in order that we can say 'no, this isn't free movement'.

4) Britain makes agreement in principal that of course it will honour its commitments to the existing pension fund, cohesion fund (to 31/12/2020). EU and Britain agree that Britain will continue to retain access to the single market for this time.

5) An 'interim deal' is struck through to 2023 on the basis of the principal of continuity - we will continue to have the same access to the EU's organisations (and vice versa) during this interim deal. There will be an entitlement to an extension in the event that a full replacement agreement is not made. Britain will continue to make contributions to the EU's institutions, but not the cohesion or infrastructure funds. 'EU Institutions As As Service' if you will. A new UK law will be made to ensure regulatory harmonisation across all sectors initially. We could choose to remove regulatory harmonisation across sectors, but that would remove said items from the interim trade agreement.

6) A Customs agreement will be made, and on Day 1 there will be no new customs barriers to trade. Britain will be entitled to strike its own international Trade deals, but said deals will mean that items included within any new deal will automatically become excluded from the customs agreement. Sounds good in theory, but in reality means we'd not sign any new international trade deals - we'd still be bound to EU-wherever trade deals. But on paper we'd have the freedom to sign international trade deals.

7) Britain gets to become out of the scope of the European Court of Justice. Instead an EU-UK Arbitration Panel will exist to ensure we aren't breaching EU law when it comes to our exports to them. For simplicity, the EU-UK Arbitration Panel will convene at the ECJ.

8) EU gets to say how much worse Britain now has it, e.g. no more infrastructure investments in Britain from EU funds, and that we've paid big money to leave and some other token stuff which sounds big but isn't. And the UK government gets to placate its population by saying how there is no full on freedom of movement, we're paying less, and we're free to sign international trade deals and free to decouple ourselves from EU regulation and some other token stuff which sounds big but isn't.

Everyone is happy, nothing changes, life goes on. The pound recovers probably to about 1.40 by 2019, because the SNP will keep bleating on about independence which will keep sterling subdued. The Tories get re-elected in a landslide in 2020 because Brexit is delivered and there is no opposition.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Nurse!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      It's very clever when this 4th highest contributor is known to want some drinks in the near future and the establishment can decide what surcharge to levy from that former 4th highest contributor, if I was them I'd make sure that leaving member pays a lot more in the future to reduce everybody else's payments, should be easy thing to agree with the remaining 26 members.
                      Indeed. The entire EU negotiations will be based around ensuring that the UK suffers, rather than getting the best deal for the EU. Even if the EU suffers a lot more than the UK.

Merkel is the new Hitler.

Comment

Working...
                      X