• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a new mic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new mic

Turns out the band that got thrown together two weeks ago have now got 3 gigs lined up. None of us were expecting it.
    A couple of the guys have mics for their saxes and it was hinted that those of us on vocals should get our own, with the aim of getting a PA system soon.

One guy swears by Shure SM58 or Beta 58. I was thinking of Senneheiser e935.

Anyone any experience in bands (or in sound systems) care to share their thoughts?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

VTech, really good value

VTech Pro Mics
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

How about this one:

Comment

Shure SM58, you don't need the Beta or the more expensive Senneheiser. If it is purely for instruments then I would go for the SM57, but to use for both I would plump for the SM58.

More important is to sing in tune.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

We use Shure 55SH

Complete with vintage looking mic stands.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

If it's for vocals and your voice is in any way strong at the low end, get the e935.

It's a much better sounding mic for vocals than the SM58 which is still trading on its 70's reputation when there were fewer alternatives.

Edit - In fact, I would even take an e835 in preference to an SM58. And don't buy mics from eBay
            Last edited by TestMangler; 16 March 2017, 15:44.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              If it's for vocals and your voice is in any way strong at the low end, get the e935.

It's a much better sounding mic for vocals than the SM58 which is still trading on its 70's reputation when there were fewer alternatives.

Edit - In fact, I would even take an e835 in preference to an SM58. And don't buy mics from eBay
              You've basically listed my reasons for thinking e935.

Purely for vocals, and I'm at the lower end of the register.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                You've basically listed my reasons for thinking e935.

Purely for vocals, and I'm at the lower end of the register.
                I've got three of them, 2 x e835s and a bag of old sm57/58 that no longer see the light of day.

The e935s basically get used every gig, which is at least once a week.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Need a new mic

Just had a chat with The Wife (tm), going to try 835, 935 & 945 at the weekend.

...and that will be part of my birthday present.

Comment

Need a new mic

As for your pointless question... it depends on the guitar. I'll take my "strat" over an LP any day.

I'm now trying to track down the guy I sold my old Godin Tele to 15 years ago, to see if he still has it and might want to sell it back.

Comment

Working...
                    X