• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a new mic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    As for your pointless question... it depends on the guitar. I'll take my "strat" over an LP any day.

I'm now trying to track down the guy I sold my old Godin Tele to 15 years ago, to see if he still has it and might want to sell it back.
    It was a pointless question

Remember the behaviour of your mics will be PA dependant, so trying out mics in a shop may not replicate your subsequent experiences

I use my stuff in sizeable pubs, all relatively similar size so PA set up is pretty much fixed and the instruments don't change greatly either, so it's a fairly well 'sorted' set up.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      It was a pointless question

Remember the behaviour of your mics will be PA dependant, so trying out mics in a shop may not replicate your subsequent experiences

I use my stuff in sizeable pubs, all relatively similar size so PA set up is pretty much fixed and the instruments don't change greatly either, so it's a fairly well 'sorted' set up.

What I want to make sure is that the mic isn't the weak link in the chain
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Be careful in case the weak link becomes the person behind the mic....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Be careful in case the weak link becomes the person behind the mic....

We know that, I mean the technical weak link.

Comment

technically its still the person behind the mic.

I think you meant technological ..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              technically its still the person behind the mic.

I think you meant technological ..

Pedant!

Comment

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the different types of Sennheise, Shure or AKG mics. More important is how the PA is set up. I would just go down the shop and pick the mic you like the best. They're all good enough.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

With a minimal "pub gig" PA I think that's very unlikely. We use SM58s at church as the classic live mic but 90% of it is about the PA mix IMO and that's with a half-decent rig. If people can hear you and it's not distorting I'd count that as a win
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    You will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the different types of Sennheise, Shure or AKG mics. More important is how the PA is set up. I would just go down the shop and pick the mic you like the best. They're all good enough.
                    Tru dat. You mostly need to spend time EQing the singers on the PA and getting the reverb right. If you're using a house PA with a house engineer, you're going to sound tulipe anyway. Dry mixes cause the engineer can't be arsed but will slap you if you try to touch his desk

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      With a minimal "pub gig" PA I think that's very unlikely. We use SM58s at church as the classic live mic but 90% of it is about the PA mix IMO and that's with a half-decent rig. If people can hear you and it's not distorting I'd count that as a win
                      OOOft........that's fighting talk wor Biffa......

Comment

Working...
                      X