• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a wee commuting question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a wee commuting question

I don't have the nightmare commute I did have for years and I don't know the stats but HGV breakdowns at bottleneck motorway locations not only caused chaos but seemed more frequent than the private vehicle breakdowns or minor accidents.

This has got me thinking, should HGV operators be sanctioned for not maintaining their vehicles and subsequent breakdowns and even fires?

If they were held to account would this make any difference?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I don't have the nightmare commute I did have for years and I don't know the stats but HGV breakdowns at bottleneck motorway locations not only caused chaos but seemed more frequent than the private vehicle breakdowns or minor accidents.

This has got me thinking, should HGV operators be sanctioned for not maintaining their vehicles and subsequent breakdowns and even fires?

Isn't the MOT supposed to be for this? I know is dismal compared to the TuV and even the Spanish ITV. Maybe raising the bar on the MOT as opposed to penalising operators is the solution?

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      Isn't the MOT supposed to be for this? I know is dismal compared to the TuV and even the Spanish ITV. Maybe raising the bar on the MOT as opposed to penalising operators is the solution?
      Aye could be but I'm not up to speed on the requirements (groan)...
      Me, me, me...

Comment

How do you still stop a recycling lorry from losing it's load of plastic bottles?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          How do you still stop a recycling lorry from losing it's load of plastic bottles?
          Educate the driver / loader on how to sort it? Or fine him to focus attention?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Educate the driver / loader on how to sort it? Or fine him to focus attention?
            So, not like this then....?

Comment

Castlecary Arches ??
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Castlecary Arches ??
                Aye
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Aye
                  If I had a quid for every time the traffic report said "a lorry has shed its load near Castlecary Arches"......

Thankfully I don't commute any more......well, I do, half a mile. Traffic is usually not too bad.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

they are actually inspected by regularly, the driver should do a walk around daily, a trained inspector should inspect it every 4->13 weeks (based on age & risk). all of these inspections should be recorded.

look they wrote a book on it:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...worthiness.pdf

This is why the tipper truck owner & mechanic were sent to prison. They falsified the records and didn't perform the inspections correctly.

The driver has responsibility for the loading of the vehicle which is why they normally don't allow you on the back if they are any good. If the lorry sheds its load H&S, DVSA etc should investigate.

As a car driver you can also be prosecuted if you fail to secure your load. One of the times losing your load is a bad idea!

Same with overloading, I have been pulled over for it once managed to convince them it was on the edge and I had travel in the shocks. I think they thought my shock absorbers were gone, they weren't, I had fifth of a patio in my boot. I didn't tell them the last 2 runs I had 2/5ths of a patio on board.
                    Last edited by vetran; 14 March 2017, 21:29.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X