chopper 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The 60bn EU bill

This article I thought was quite good:

Brexit: Early financial settlement won't be 'forced on UK' - BBC News

A chunk of it is for the 'cohesion fund', the bit where we have to pay for shiny new infrastructure in Eastern European countries whilst we can't even get a new runway at Heathrow, or HS2, and our motorway 'improvements' involve removing the hard shoulder. But this is only up until 31st December 2020, so not long after Brexit is sorted anyway.

Then there is our share of the pensions black hole in the EU to date (again, fair) and our share of the EU's accounting deficit (probably fair, if they can produce suitable accounts).

What it wont be is a 60bn bill on the day we leave, but payments spread out probably in line with what our regular contributions would have been, on a sliding scale.

But it does give us a strong hand when it comes to retaining single market access. "Yep, we'll pay our fair share, if we get our fair share of the assets back, and we continue to get unrestricted access to the single market".

I fear a good deal is on the way. All this talk of bad deals and no deal is a bloody good way for May to announce a great deal in 2019, about a year before a General Election... Of course it wont be 'as good' as EU membership, but to the ordinary man and for business the sky wont fall in and we aren't falling off a cliff.

Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

northernladyuk - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post

A chunk of it is for the 'cohesion fund', the bit where we have to pay for shiny new infrastructure in Eastern European countries whilst we can't even get a new runway at Heathrow, or HS2, and our motorway 'improvements' involve removing the hard shoulder. But this is only up until 31st December 2020, so not long after Brexit is sorted anyway.

Then there is our share of the pensions black hole in the EU to date (again, fair) and our share of the EU's accounting deficit (probably fair, if they can produce suitable accounts).

What it wont be is a 60bn bill on the day we leave, but payments spread out probably in line with what our regular contributions would have been, on a sliding scale.

But it does give us a strong hand when it comes to retaining single market access. "Yep, we'll pay our fair share, if we get our fair share of the assets back, and we continue to get unrestricted access to the single market".

I fear a good deal is on the way. All this talk of bad deals and no deal is a bloody good way for May to announce a great deal in 2019, about a year before a General Election... Of course it wont be 'as good' as EU membership, but to the ordinary man and for business the sky wont fall in and we aren't falling off a cliff.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe there is some confusion about the 60bn and the 9bn: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...u-after-brexit
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

I live on CUK

vetran is always on top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    so you have finally realised the EU is a communist state
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot - scorchio!

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post

And yet we could find 20.3 billion for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined, the result of which has done us more harm than good.

Yeah whatever.
    Ldoenn : 'we're hloding a referneudm to laeve the Eureopean union
    EU: 'OK'
    Scotland: 'we're holding a refeerndum to leave the UK union'
    Ldonon: ' Oh no you're not'.

More time posting than coding

motoukenin has more data than eek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All reasonable estimates I have seen say 20 -30 Billion, after all we wouldn't want Mr Kinnock to suffer in his old age would we?