• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland might be poorer than the UK right now but post-Brexit maybe they'd be better off escaping the mess!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      You don't see a problem with a rising population of pensioners, and a shrinking population of people working to pay taxes to give said rising pensioner population an actual pension? Or indeed any of the other stuff that many pensioners need, e.g. social care, increasing demand on the health service?
      That is definitely going to be a huge problem for Scotland if it stays in the UK, and is a key reason that the UK will turn to "poo". Staying in the UK is definitely not going to solve the problem for Scotland. At least as an independent country they have the ability to solve it.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        I simply take the facts as they come. Here's a trick question for you: what countries in Europe would have a larger deficit than an independent Scotland? If you're ready for a monumental fiscal consolidation, I wish you all the best. My guess is that the SNP won't be arguing for that position, but the voters will understand that as the choice on offer. IMHO, this is the beginning of the end of the SNP.
        Actually you seem to ignore facts from my point of view. Talking of Scotland's economy when that of rUK is just as bad if not worse. rUK is in no position to lecture. rUK position would be a lot worse if it were not for all the immigrants you're importing to help shore up tax receipts.

I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse, however, Scotland remains one of the wealthiest countries in the world. The UK is operating at 91% debt to GDP. No room for manoeuvre. No wonder the UK government doesn't want to loose Scotland.

Don't take my word for it, a government instead:

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0044/00446019.pdf

"The figures show that tax revenues generated in 2012-13 were £800 higher per head in Scotland compared with the UK, meaning that now for every one of the last 33 years, tax receipts have been higher in Scotland than the UK.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          That is definitely going to be a huge problem for Scotland if it stays in the UK, and is a key reason that the UK will turn to "poo". Staying in the UK is definitely not going to solve the problem for Scotland. At least as an independent country they have the ability to solve it.
          Logan's Run was fiction. HTHBIDI
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Gotta love Scooter's new sig.

a)It's factually incorrect.
            b)"You just had one" would be more apt...

London : 'we're holding a referendum to leave the Eureopean union

EU: 'OK'

Scotland: 'we're holding a referendum to leave the UK union'

London: 'Well you just had one with our blessing, but sure only let's sort out the EU one first eh?'.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Don't take my word for it, a government instead:

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0044/00446019.pdf

""The figures show that tax revenues generated in 2012-13 were £800 higher per head in Scotland compared with the UK, meaning that now for every one of the last 33 years, tax receipts have been higher in Scotland than the UK."
              This figure is distorted because 84.2% of tax raised from oil and gas was attributed to Scotland, and this was at a time when oil was at $85-$95 a barrel. Strip out the £5.5bn of tax receipts for oil, and Scotland's per head tax take was lower than the UK average.

Additionally, public expenditure per head in Scotland was £12,300 compared to £11,000 for rUK. So even with the generous oil allowance, Scotland's claim to receive more than £800 per head is offset by the £1300 per head extra expense.

Daily question: How much does Scotland pay in tax and how much does it spend? - BBC News

Of course, we are using stats from 2012/2013, before the previous referendum, which was all about "We've got all this valuable oil, we can spend spend spend on bringing you all the land of milk and honey". In 2015/16, tax receipts from UK oil and gas production were actually -£24m.

North Sea receipts hit record low - BBC News

So far:
              Independence, but we want to be in the EU (and no guarantee that will happen - Scotland want to join the 20 strong night out of nations who like to drink beer but don't take their wallets with them)
              Independence, but we still want economic policy dictated in London because we still want to use the pound. Or maybe the Euro, eventually, maybe.
              Independence because look how much oil money Scotland may have made five years ago, lets ignore the oil losses attributable to the same region more recently...
              Independence, but we have a shrinking working age population and a rising pensioner population.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                And we'll save a few billion in subsidies. Pretty much a win-win all round.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

London: 'Well you just had one with our blessing, but sure only let's sort out the EU one first eh?'.[/I]
                  Then I imagine there'll be no argument when the government agrees with the EU on our behalf.

1) You maintain a fee equivalent to membership (but have no say in)

2) Free movement continues

3) No trade agreements outside the EU with which the EU already trades with.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This figure is distorted because 84.2% of tax raised from oil and gas was attributed to Scotland, and this was at a time when oil was at $85-$95 a barrel. Strip out the £5.5bn of tax receipts for oil, and Scotland's per head tax take was lower than the UK average. .
                    You mean to tell me Scotland was spending its wealth on public services for the whole of the UK?

Just gets worse.

Comment

This figure is distorted because 84.2% of tax raised from oil and gas was attributed to Scotland, and this was at a time when oil was at $85-$95 a barrel. Strip out the £5.5bn of tax receipts for oil, and Scotland's per head tax take was lower than the UK average
                      So basically you're saying if we fudge the figures to get the answer we want, we get the answer we want?

Comment

Working...
                      X