• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    OK so if Scotland wants to join it can. The economic criteria are for entry into the Euro not the EU.

Don't make the mistake of comparing Sturgeon with the Brexit liars in the UK.

So what currency will they use? I can't see her being allowed near Sterling.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Has any country said they would veto it ?
      How could Scotland in EU possibly work with a hard English / Scottish border?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        First of all the UK can't stop Scotland using Sterling, in the same way that other countries use the dollar without the consent of the US.The pound is an internationally traded currency. I suspect they will temporarily use the pound, and then switch to their own currency in due course pegging it probably to the pound, and then perhaps later on to the Euro.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Sturgeon: Scotland will keep the pound and apply for full EU membership

"The Scottish First Minister tells Sophy Ridge a newly independent Scotland would keep the pound and apply for full EU membership."

So there you go. Scotland* wishes to use the pound and obviously rUK couldn't stop people spending pounds in Scotland. But Scotland, which would be in urgent need of an even weaker currency, wouldn't be able to do anything to achieve that. Rather like Greece being unable to set its own monetary policy based on its vastly different requirements to Germany.

* Obviously I mean a minority of people in Scotland.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            How could Scotland in EU possibly work with a hard English / Scottish border?
            How could the UK work with a hard UK-EU border ?

If the UK is heading to crash out of the EU without an agreement then it's economic armageddon.

Scotland's choices are

1) Economic armageddon and Boris Johnson appearing on their TV screens every night.
            2) Economic armageddon without Boris Johnson.

I know which I would choose.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

First of all the UK can't stop Scotland using Sterling, in the same way that other countries use the dollar without the consent of the US.The pound is an internationally traded currency. I suspect they will temporarily use the pound, and then switch to their own currency in due course pegging it probably to the pound, and then perhaps later on to the Euro.
              Who's their lender of last resort though? LibLabCon have all ruled out a currency union which rules out the BoE.

They could always punch to their own weight and do what Kosovo do and have the Euro as an unofficial currency.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                Sturgeon: Scotland will keep the pound and apply for full EU membership

But Scotland, which would be in urgent need of an even weaker currency.
                That's what they said about Ireland, but they weren't.

They were growing at around 9% in the last year or so.

Scotland will be immensely successful with the right policies. Sturgeon has made an excellent point that the Scottish government is not in control of economic policy, the UK is.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

How could the UK work with a hard UK-EU border ?

If the UK is heading to crash out of the EU without an agreement then it's economic armageddon.

Scotland's choices are

1) Economic armageddon and Boris Johnson appearing on their TV screens every night.
                  2) Economic armageddon without Boris Johnson.

I know which I would choose.
                  Firstly, the implications of a hard border for Scotland are significantly greater:

Scotland still conducts the vast majority of its trade within the UK. In 2014, Scotland's exports totalled £76 billion, of which £48.5 billion (64%) was with constituent nations of the United Kingdom, £11.6 billion with the rest of the EU, and £15.2 billion with other parts of the world.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Scotland

Secondly, just because the UK electorate as a whole has made a decision to drive the red white and blue Brexit battle bus off the white cliffs of Dover, doesn't mean that the Scottish electorate will do something similar (although given the emerging global cretinocalypse, we cannot discount the possibility).

Comment

That's what they said about Ireland, but they weren't.

They were growing at around 9% in the last year or so.

Scotland will be immensely successful with the right policies. Sturgeon has made an excellent point that the Scottish government is not in control of economic policy, the UK is.
                    Ireland isn't a great advertisement for stability, although the economy is doing well right now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Ireland isn't a great advertisement for stability, although the economy is doing well right now.

But what it demonstrates is that a country doesn't need to devalue to recover from a shock as everyone says.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X