• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    If there's one thing over the years should know by now, the SNP are experts at playing the long game.
    They've been going for 80 years with only 1 aim FFS.

They are clearly not experts at any type of game.

Comment

So an unelected prime minister wants to tell an elected first minister, whose country voted to stay in the EU, that she won't allow a referendum?

Yeah, democracy in action right there.
      Bl00dy hell. Straight out of the SNP script book. You know full well British PMs aren't elected.

Any chance of explaining what happens to the tens of thousands of Scots who also consider themselves British after a Yes result? I've noticed you ignore questions that don't fit the agenda.

Comment

So an unelected prime minister wants to tell an elected first minister, whose country voted to stay in the EU, that she won't allow a referendum?
        I'm beginning to think you're a sockie. Surely you aren't so dim as to a) ask that question, knowing that UK PMs are not directly elected, and b) knowing that Sturgeon herself was in charge for about 18 months before she faced a Scottish election?

Comment

Yeah, democracy in action right there.
          So in the 2015 General Election, 35,453 people voted for Theresa May to be their MP. Only 15,287 voted for Sturgeon to be their MSP in the 2016 Scottish Parliament Elections.

It is also worth knowing that between 19th November 2014 and 17th May 2016, Sturgeon was the First Minister for Scotland - an unelected First Minister by your own argument. I didn't see you or her complaining about it then?

Of course, statistics can say what you want them to say, and you can selectively choose the statistics that support your side of the argument - like the 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

All irrelevant though, nobody voted for Sturgeon to be First Minister, or May (or Cameron) to be Prime Minister. Just like Scotland didn't vote to remain in the EU - Britain voted to leave the EU. There was no referendum on Scotland remaining in the EU, so there is some pretty clever invention there of a thing that never even actually happened. It wasn't a question of whether you, your house, your street, your town, your nearest city or whatever micro level you wish to choose wanted to remain in the EU. It was a question of whether the UK as a whole wanted to remain in the EU.

Wouldn't it be perverse if rUK got a great deal with the EU with full access to the single market as part of Brexit negotiations, say a Norway style deal, but Scotland voted for independence and actually ended up outside the UK and outside the sphere of the EU and its single market?
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            I'm beginning to think you're a sockie. Surely you aren't so dim
            We're going to have to stop you there, matey.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              We're going to have to stop you there, matey.
              Agreed, thick as.....

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                So in the 2015 General Election, 35,453 people voted for Theresa May to be their MP. Only 15,287 voted for Sturgeon to be their MSP in the 2016 Scottish Parliament Elections.

It is also worth knowing that between 19th November 2014 and 17th May 2016, Sturgeon was the First Minister for Scotland - an unelected First Minister by your own argument. I didn't see you or her complaining about it then?

Of course, statistics can say what you want them to say, and you can selectively choose the statistics that support your side of the argument - like the 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

All irrelevant though, nobody voted for Sturgeon to be First Minister, or May (or Cameron) to be Prime Minister. Just like Scotland didn't vote to remain in the EU - Britain voted to leave the EU. There was no referendum on Scotland remaining in the EU, so there is some pretty clever invention there of a thing that never even actually happened. It wasn't a question of whether you, your house, your street, your town, your nearest city or whatever micro level you wish to choose wanted to remain in the EU. It was a question of whether the UK as a whole wanted to remain in the EU.

Wouldn't it be perverse if rUK got a great deal with the EU with full access to the single market as part of Brexit negotiations, say a Norway style deal, but Scotland voted for independence and actually ended up outside the UK and outside the sphere of the EU and its single market?
                I would agree largely with what you say, but where I would disagree with you is that Scotland didvote to stay in the EU, but that of course has no standing in the result of the referendum. It is however politically relevant.

Comment

https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/842372969770962944

She's starting to lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    I would agree largely with what you say, but where I would disagree with you is that Scotland didvote to stay in the EU, but that of course has no standing in the result of the referendum. It is however politically relevant.
                    Technically - a number of people who live in Scotland voted for Remain.

60.4% of people in Manchester voted to remain. It doesn't follow that Manchester City Council gets to have an independence referendum, or that Manchester gets to remain in the single market.

It is politically relevant to an extent, but basing a second referendum on Brexit without being able to give any kind of guarantee to Scottish people that if Scotland voted for independence that it would have ANY kind of access to the EU or its single market (Scotland wouldn't even be a WTO member!) is madness in the extreme. As I said before, it could end up with Scotland being further away from the single market than rUK.

This absolutely isn't the right time. We need Westminster to focus on Brexit and not being distracted by Sturgeon playing politics close to the end of her Holyrood tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      Desperation and panic setting in I see.

Maybe scooterscot is actually Sturgeon's sockie? Or worse, maybe it is the other way around?!?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                      X