• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I agree that the Brexit vote is cause for a second vote. But while I think it was a finely balanced decision last time, this time I think Scotland would be crazy to leave UK if it want to be in the EU, because of the nearly inevitable hard customs border with England. Possibly there is a solution where Scotland joins the EEA, but outside the Customs Union (like Norway) and inside the Common Travel Area.
    Scotland could not afford the EEA fee. Even Norway with its wealth grudges the fee.

Anyhoe, thread closed. Mother Mayhem says the children's future will be decided for them.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      I don't give a shit which foot either of them kick with. You were the one claiming a relationship between the Irish nationalism and Scottish nationalism based on religion. I said you were talking pish and cited two examples.
      Ah the beautiful, charming voice of Scottish Nationalism. Ironically, it was you that suggested that Scooter and Batcher disprove my theory. Still, good old May has put your damaging and divisive hopes and dreams on the back burner. Just enough time for General and Scottish Parliamentary elections. That should finish it off nicely.

P.s. You and I know that there's a link, but it can be our secret.

Comment

This is more and more looking like a bad play by the SNP. In 2014 nobody could really begrudge the fact that the nationalists had earned the right to hold a referendum, Cameron accepted that and the terms were all dealt with cordially.

I think May has quite reasonably said not in the next 2 years and the majority of the country it seems agree with her. Now the SNP are getting all blue face paint on us and it's not a good look. Sturgeon is also not looking great getting all shouty and screamy on the news every day which will put off many soft yes voters.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          This is more and more looking like a bad play by the SNP. In 2014 nobody could really begrudge the fact that the nationalists had earned the right to hold a referendum, Cameron accepted that and the terms were all dealt with cordially.

I think May has quite reasonably said not in the next 2 years and the majority of the country it seems agree with her. Now the SNP are getting all blue face paint on us and it's not a good look. Sturgeon is also not looking great getting all shouty and screamy on the news every day which will put off many soft yes voters.
          It's becoming clear that the SNP are looking for independence at any cost. The obvious thing to do was to run Scotland properly to prove their case is a viable one.

Even in the event of a second vote and a Yes outcome, how one earth do you console the large number of Scots who consider themselves, with their heart and soul, that they are British too?
          Last edited by The_Equalizer; 16 March 2017, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            This is more and more looking like a bad play by the SNP.
            If there's one thing over the years should know by now, the SNP are experts at playing the long game.

Notwithstanding that, the people of Scotland put the SNP into power. To suggest that mandate is irrelevant is something indeed to behold.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              If there's one thing over the years should know by now, the SNP are experts at playing the long game.

Notwithstanding that, the people of Scotland put the SNP into power. To suggest that mandate is irrelevant is something indeed to behold.
              Sinn Fein say the same thing, with the same result. You may get half as close each time, but you've still the remaining half to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Sinn Fein say the same thing, with the same result. You may get half as close each time, but you've still the remaining half to cover.
                A bit like the Brexit vote I suppose. Where half is the stamp of approval.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  A bit like the Brexit vote I suppose. Where half is the stamp of approval.
                  Nope, that's called democracy.

I've never consider a link with the EU fundamental to the identity of a large number of people born in the UK. Yes, people consider themselves European to some degree, but it's not who they are. The same cannot said for being British. This runs deep. Perhaps you can let me know what these people are to do once independence has stripped them of this?

Comment

It's becoming clear that the SNP are looking for independence at any cost. The obvious thing to do was to run Scotland properly to prove their case is a viable one.

Even in the event of a second vote and a Yes outcome, how one earth do you console the large number of Scots who consider themselves, with their heart and soul, that they are British too?
                    Perhaps they need to start thinking about doing just that. It's way beyond the talents of the wee Krankie though, so I can't see it happening in Methuselah's lifetime, let alone mine.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Nope, that's called democracy.

So an unelected prime minister wants to tell an elected first minister, whose country voted to stay in the EU, that she won't allow a referendum?

Yeah, democracy in action right there.

Comment

Working...
                      X