• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    It's no less inconsistent than everything else that has been suggested. Oil revenues, tax receipts, use of Sterling, good will of the UK etc.
    ... remain in / join the EU, hard border with England etc.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      we can't be having referendums on this subject every 5 years
      No, but there has been a material change in circumstances. While I desperately hope Sturgeon loses, I do not begrudge her this second referendum.

Having said that, all her bleating about how the Scottish parliament must decide is nonsense. Under the law, it is the UK government that decides. May should allow the vote, but at a time that suits the UK, not a time that suits the SNP.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
        No, but there has been a material change in circumstances. While I desperately hope Sturgeon loses, I do not begrudge her this second referendum.

Having said that, all her bleating about how the Scottish parliament must decide is nonsense. Under the law, it is the UK government that decides. May should allow the vote, but at a time that suits the UK, not a time that suits the SNP.
        I agree that the Brexit vote is cause for a second vote. But while I think it was a finely balanced decision last time, this time I think Scotland would be crazy to leave UK if it want to be in the EU, because of the nearly inevitable hard customs border with England. Possibly there is a solution where Scotland joins the EEA, but outside the Customs Union (like Norway) and inside the Common Travel Area.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          I wonder who it could be

Sas having trouble with the column widths in Excel?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
            That is simply so she can bleat on about control from Westminster. "Oh look, those baddies stopping us from having our referendum" which is probably what she is hoping for. I think we should have a vote, but it should be in 2021. The rUK shouldn't be disadvantaged by it which it will be over the next four years. Sturgeon wont like that one bit, as she risks losing control of Holyrood in the meantime.

She needs the Westminster money, she wants it unconditionally, and apparently would prefer the EU to pay it to them instead with all the strings attached to that. The EU may well admit an independent Scotland into its fold, but the EU would only be bending rules for a new net contributor. It'll be the EU's rules for Scotland if Scotland thinks it'll be a net recipient of EU funding. The EU doesn't need another Greece.
            Taking a break from contracting

Comment

And May says not now:

'Now not the time' for independence vote - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                I agree that the Brexit vote is cause for a second vote. But while I think it was a finely balanced decision last time, this time I think Scotland would be crazy to leave UK if it want to be in the EU, because of the nearly inevitable hard customs border with England. Possibly there is a solution where Scotland joins the EEA, but outside the Customs Union (like Norway) and inside the Common Travel Area.
                Could you daft c**ts please make up your mind ? Is a post Brexit rUK open for business with the rest of the world or not ? Are you proclaiming hard borders or customs/trade unions with other countries (except Scotland ?)
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Could you daft c**ts please make up your mind ? Is a post Brexit rUK open for business with the rest of the world or not ? Are you proclaiming hard borders or customs/trade unions with other countries (except Scotland ?)
                  Have you asked Scooter and Batcher which 'foot they kick with' yet or will you just bypass the idea and go straight to the personal insults?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    Have you asked Scooter and Batcher which 'foot they kick with' yet or will you just bypass the idea and go straight to the personal insults?
                    I don't give a shit which foot either of them kick with. You were the one claiming a relationship between the Irish nationalism and Scottish nationalism based on religion. I said you were talking pish and cited two examples.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                      I don't give a shit which foot either of them kick with. You were the one claiming a relationship between the Irish nationalism and Scottish nationalism based on religion. I said you were talking pish and cited two examples.

Won't be this one, that's for certain

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X