• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    No. Completely the opposite in fact. The forum's regular IRA apologist (minestrone) is vehemently anti independence for Scotland. My family background would suggest I should be waving the union jack, but I'm not.

Maybe Scooter! batcher and some of the other forum Jocks could disprove your theory further ?
    Go on then. Give them a poke and see what answer you get. While you're about perhaps you might like to know I would fall into the NI Unionist camp, oh, but hang on, my wife is Irish Catholic. Oh what a palaver!

Comment

I'm naturally sympathetic to independence, but there's a big fat elephant in the room TBH.

Public sector workforce here:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...loyment-uk-map

Orkney -where I live- is at No.1 @ 48%, and only 26% private sector. (and the remaining 26% sitting on their bums, quasi-retired & well moneyed, but not paying much in the way of tax).

In fact, in most areas of Scotland the figures are rather troubling, any functioning market economy needs a sizeable ‘private sector’ middle class to fleece, in Scotland this flock is pretty small.
      On that basis I do wonder if an independent Scotland is actually viable without a massive shrinkage of the public sector, but that is too politically difficult, as no-one in a nice cushy Pub-sec job is likely going to vote it into oblivion. More likely the private sector (doing public contracts) would be hit, reducing the private sector (and tax take) even further.

A lose-lose situation?

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
        I'm naturally sympathetic to independence, but there's a big fat elephant in the room TBH.

Orkney -where I live- is at No.1 @ 48%, and only 26% private sector. (and the remaining 26% sitting on their bums, quasi-retired & well moneyed, but not paying much in the way of tax).

In fact, in most areas of Scotland the figures are rather troubling, any functioning market economy needs a sizeable ‘private sector’ middle class to fleece, in Scotland this flock is pretty small.
        On that basis I do wonder if an independent Scotland is actually viable without a massive shrinkage of the public sector, but that is too politically difficult, as no-one in a nice cushy Pub-sec job is likely going to vote it into oblivion. More likely the private sector (doing public contracts) would be hit, reducing the private sector (and tax take) even further.

A lose-lose situation?
        You contract from Orkney? Respect to you.

The answer is for Orkney and Shetland to go independent and keep the oil. Just hope the Shetlanders don't head off on their own.

Comment

A lose-lose situation?
          There's the massive tax operation at Cumbernauld that would be decimated as part of any independence too; while Scotland would need more public sector to manage their own affairs, it would be a far smaller ask than the losses suffered from moving UK operations south of the border.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            You contract from Orkney? Respect to you.

The answer is for Orkney and Shetland to go independent and keep the oil. Just hope the Shetlanders don't head off on their own.
            Cheers, yes it's a blessing not having to shake hands and fake a smile every day....skype camera always OFF.

I think if there's a Ref and it goes YES, the northern isles will probably have another referendum on remaining in the UK, so something like Gibraltar but with less sun, more tax, and monkeys still pulling a salary in the council offices.

Best of all possible worlds, where art thou!

Comment

A lose-lose situation?
              I know that in Northern Ireland, which has an equally impressive public/private sector ratio, those in public sector are better qualified. It inadvertently is a way of retaining some of the province’s better educated workforce. So those that think any border poll on Irish unity would be down purely to a sectarian head count fail to account for the fact that there will always be a certain percentage that would wish for a united Ireland, but wouldn't vote for it due to personal interests. Like in all of life, reality requires compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                There's the massive tax operation at Cumbernauld that would be decimated as part of any independence too; while Scotland would need more public sector to manage their own affairs, it would be a far smaller ask than the losses suffered from moving UK operations south of the border.
                And as you know, you can't just pull a shiny new private sector out of your butt.

Think it may all be rather academic TBH, criteria for EU membership is a Gov budget deficit below 3%, Scotland's is currently running at about 9%. No idea how you fix that when you consider the size of the public sector. So assuming May agrees and a Yes vote, that could mean several painful years outside the EU trying to conform to the criteria, with a bloated Pub-sec and all that that entails......sounds like a recipe for chaos. So perhaps Scottish voters should be looking at what Independence 'outside the EU' really means first......mad times really.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  I know that in Northern Ireland, which has an equally impressive public/private sector ratio, those in public sector are better qualified. It inadvertently is a way of retaining some of the province’s better educated workforce. So those that think any border poll on Irish unity would be down purely to a sectarian head count fail to account for the fact that there will always be a certain percentage that would wish for a united Ireland, but wouldn't vote for it due to personal interests. Like in all of life, reality requires compromise.
                  There is a pretty big majority in NI to remain in the UK, but a solution is needed to the border. It may be easier for NI to remain in customs union and apply customs between GB and NI.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    There is a pretty big majority in NI to remain in the UK, but a solution is needed to the border. It may be easier for NI to remain in customs union and apply customs between GB and NI.
                    Possibly. What is good is that north and south, neither the public nor politicians what any kind want a trade border. Nor does the UK government for that matter.

Comment

And as you know, you can't just pull a shiny new private sector out of your butt.

Think it may all be rather academic TBH, criteria for EU membership is a Gov budget deficit below 3%, Scotland's is currently running at about 9%. No idea how you fix that when you consider the size of the public sector. So assuming May agrees and a Yes vote, that could mean several painful years outside the EU trying to conform to the criteria, with a bloated Pub-sec and all that that entails......sounds like a recipe for chaos. So perhaps Scottish voters should be looking at what Independence 'outside the EU' really means first......mad times really.
                      Try telling that to William "Scooterscot" Wallace.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X