• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's unfair as unlike the Greeks the Scottish people will pay their taxes. Though they won't have jobs to pay any with.
    And the SNP will have to jack up the tax rates so high that anyone who can, will leave to join those who, like Scooter, have left already...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

There is no doubt Scotland will suffer, but they'll suffer anyway so why not go for independence. The signs are the oil market is recovering and major investment banks are recommending using the dip to buy into oil, the turn around in the oil markets probably represents a good opportunity to go for it.

It's going to be bad for the UK, the car industry is going to be decimated, the finance industry will be decimated and now the only industry that was more or less immune from Brexit will completely disappear.

looks bad....
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        And the SNP will have to jack up the tax rates so high that anyone who can, will leave to join those who, like Scooter, have left already...
        My solution (admittedly crap and unworkable) would be to swap the Unionists in Northern Ireland for the Scottish Nationalist (who, from what I can tell, have strong Irish Catholic connections). United Ireland and united GB (or slightly reduced UK). Job's a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          There is no doubt Scotland will suffer, but they'll suffer anyway so why not go for independence. The signs are the oil market is recovering and major investment banks are recommending using the dip to buy into oil, the turn around in the oil markets probably represents a good opportunity to go for it.

It's going to be bad for the UK, the car industry is going to be decimated, the finance industry will be decimated and now the only industry that was more or less immune from Brexit will completely disappear.

looks bad....
          I'd suggest you check the oil price and recovery of shale.

Comment

looks bad....
            Still good money in defence.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I'd suggest you check the oil price and recovery of shale.
              I follow it pretty closely as I'm invested in oil companies and the commentators that predicted the price could never rise above 40 dollars have been proven to be wrong, it has been over 50 for some months. It is highly likely that prices will continue to rise.

Citi was one bank who correctly predicted the price rise in 2015 when it was down at 30$.

Citi predicts rising oil prices
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I follow it pretty closely as I'm invested in oil companies and the commentators that predicted the price could never rise above 40 dollars have been proven to be wrong, it has been over 50 for some months. It is highly likely that prices will continue to rise.

Citi was one bank who correctly predicted the price rise in 2015 when it was down at 30$.

Citi predicts rising oil prices
                Me too. Oh the irony.

Comment

No idea about oil but there's quite a financial centre in Scotland already isn't there... if Scotland looked set to leave UK and join the EU maybe banks would move there?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I will point out that every region outside the south east is funded by the UK. we're not completely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      No idea about oil but there's quite a financial centre in Scotland already isn't there... if Scotland looked set to leave UK and join the EU maybe banks would move there?
                      Only once those banks have paid back all their taxpayer funded bailouts. RBS is still majority owned by the UK taxpayers, so they'd presumably need govt permission to move "offshore", and they won't get it.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X