• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I know its the Mail and I know its Katie Hopkins but I post this merely to annoy Scooter and others Sturgeon wants to rush through another vote before Brexit | Daily Mail Online
    It's not like it wasn't predictable once devolution was implemented.

Comment

We get a lot of comments by politicians saying May is not prepared for Brexit but her lack of preparation does not compare to that of Sturgeon. She seems determined to leave the UK without any good prospects of remaining in or joining the EU and with no semblance of any tacit agreement on Scotland's future currency. I hope the Scots know what they are doing.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If May does get something close to a free trade deal then the SNP will be campaigning to take us away from it. That would finish them off.

And I do think Scotland would be a net contributor to the EU, our GDP is still quite high in Europe, it's just our spending that is out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I hope the Scots know what they are doing.
          They did last time, and there are far more reasons for them to get it right again should the circumstances require it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            They did last time, and there are far more reasons for them to get it right again should the circumstances require it.

The difficulty is there is no right answer this time - they're screwed either way. Perhaps the answer is to divide the UK:

- London, Scotland, NI and Gibraltar inside EU
            - Rest of England and Wales outside EU

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              We get a lot of comments by politicians saying May is not prepared for Brexit but her lack of preparation does not compare to that of Sturgeon. She seems determined to leave the UK without any good prospects of remaining in or joining the EU and with no semblance of any tacit agreement on Scotland's future currency. I hope the Scots know what they are doing.
              Except Brexit is starting now, and the referendum they're asking for is at least 18 months away. Not having an answer on currency is possibly what scuppered it last time, but maybe they'll have learned, and if full EU membership is the long term goal then the answer will have to be the Euro anyway.

If you notice she didn't really say anything about staying in the EU (which is probably impossible), but staying in the Single Market. Pre-Brexit the idea of an independent Scotland still using the pound, or of Scotland remaining in The Single Market all seemed crazy and unworkable. But Brexit has redefined crazy and unworkable.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Except Brexit is starting now, and the referendum they're asking for is at least 18 months away. Not having an answer on currency is possibly what scuppered it last time, but maybe they'll have learned, and if full EU membership is the long term goal then the answer will have to be the Euro anyway.

If you notice she didn't really say anything about staying in the EU (which is probably impossible), but staying in the Single Market. Pre-Brexit the idea of an independent Scotland still using the pound, or of Scotland remaining in The Single Market all seemed crazy and unworkable. But Brexit has redefined crazy and unworkable.
                The EU / EEA single market is itself very problematic. Scotland has the choice (potentially) of single market / customs union with rUK or with EU. But the former is almost certainly not compatible with EU membership.

Comment

Some senior nationalists are openly saying they won't vote for independence if it means going back to the EU.

So not having a plan is very much the plan.

Comment

The amazing hypocrisy of the SNP astounds me. Even more than that of the Tories.

They were perfectly happy to take Scotland out of the Single Market back in 2014 in pursuit of separation.

And now they are using that as an excuse to have another go.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      The EU / EEA single market is itself very problematic. Scotland has the choice (potentially) of single market / customs union with rUK or with EU. But the former is almost certainly not compatible with EU membership.
                      But only because of a unilateral decision by Theresa May not to retain the customs union.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X