• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christian Fraser‏
    Verified account
    @ChristianFraser

The PM is considering setting the condition that the SNP must win an outright majority in Holyrood elections in 2021, says the Times
    That works for me

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      That works for me
      She should also stipulate that it has to be a 60-40 majority as the 55-45 one was not conclusive enough.

Just by way of getting a proper workable mandate and all.

They could then recalibrate the "once in a generation" decision back to 25 years plus, instead of the "every 1-2 years or until we get the right result" that the Tartan Mafia currently have it set to.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        She should also stipulate that it has to be a 60-40 majority as the 55-45 one was not conclusive enough.

They could then recalibrate the "once in a generation" decision back to 25 years plus, instead of the "every 1-2 years or until we get the right result" that the Tartan Mafia currently have it set to.

They should hold a vote every four weeks until they get a 2/3 majority one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

So if they vote Stay 55:45 that's not conclusive and they have to do what? 55:45 to trigger a Leave decision is reasonable.

Also... twice doesn't count as "every 1-2 years" now does it? One more in the wake of Brexit is reasonable then as you say, lock it.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So if they vote Stay 55:45 that's not conclusive and they have to do what? 55:45 to trigger a Leave decision is reasonable.

Also... twice doesn't count as "every 1-2 years" now does it? One more in the wake of Brexit is reasonable then as you say, lock it.
            It cannot constitutionally be 'locked'.

Comment

Even in short term special situations? Seems like it could be done as a special measure?

We don't know that. One week we hear "Scotland would have to go to the back of the queue" another week "Scotland could retain membership" and later "They could be fast-tracked". It's all down to negotiation and the various parties deciding what is in their best interests. If the EU members want Scotland to be fast-tracked or pre-approved, it can surely happen that way. If they don't want Scotland in, they can do that too.
              Absolutely. Where there is a will there is a way.

It's like brexit, there is no will for a fair deal.

It will be a bad deal or no deal.

WTO all the way baby.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

So if they vote Stay 55:45 that's not conclusive and they have to do what?
                They have to remain as part of the UK, just like they voted for 30 months ago.
                Hence the 60-40 target that I stipulated that must be reached to trigger Independence.

HTH
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

But then you said something about 55:45 not being definitive enough... but it was 55:45 the 'wrong way'.

A 10% victory (i.e. 55:45) seems quite reasonable. Maybe some sort of turnout rule as well?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sovereignty only applies to England then? All the other inconvenient bits of the UK have no rights according to the 'May Queen'
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

But then you said something about 55:45 not being definitive enough... but it was 55:45 the 'wrong way'.

A 10% victory (i.e. 55:45) seems quite reasonable. Maybe some sort of turnout rule as well?
                      they had a respectable turnout

The turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom since the introduction of universal suffrage.

Even if the other 15% had turned out >75% would have to of voted leave to win.

not bad compared to general election turnout.
                      Election Year UK England
                      2015 66.1% 65.8%
                      2010 65.1% 65.5%
                      2005 61.4% 61.3%
                      2001 59.4% 59.2%

seems pretty fair to me.

nice 10% margin, record turnout, not sure why you think you can win.

Brexxit by the way was 72.2 % turnout, I have more sympathy for the bremainers.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X