+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2205

    Default Sovereign Parliament

    by David Davis -

    We cannot allow Parliament the chance to veto Brexit

    "Parliamentary sovereignty (also called parliamentary supremacy or legislative supremacy) is a concept in the constitutional law of some parliamentary democracies. It holds that the legislative body has absolute sovereignty, and is supreme over all other government institutions, including executive or judicial bodies. It also holds that the legislative body may change or repeal any previous legislation, and so it is not bound by written law (in some cases, even a constitution) or by precedent."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_sovereignty


  2. #2

    Godlike

    Mordac - scorchio!

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    5,134
    Thanks (Given)
    63
    Thanks (Received)
    204
    Likes (Given)
    497
    Likes (Received)
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    by David Davis -

    We cannot allow Parliament the chance to veto Brexit

    "Parliamentary sovereignty (also called parliamentary supremacy or legislative supremacy) is a concept in the constitutional law of some parliamentary democracies. It holds that the legislative body has absolute sovereignty, and is supreme over all other government institutions, including executive or judicial bodies. It also holds that the legislative body may change or repeal any previous legislation, and so it is not bound by written law (in some cases, even a constitution) or by precedent."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_sovereignty

    As opposed to the House of Lords who largely want to tear up the whole thing, go back to their subsidised Horlicks and pretend it all never happened?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #3
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    As opposed to the House of Lords who largely want to tear up the whole thing, go back to their subsidised Horlicks and pretend it all never happened?
    That would be best for the country.

  4. #4

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad is always on top

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93,450
    Thanks (Given)
    17091
    Thanks (Received)
    4516
    Likes (Given)
    17090
    Likes (Received)
    8031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    That would be best for the country.
    So lets not bother with voting then. Lets just decide what is best for the country.

    It will become just like Russia then. You will feel at home.
    We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

  5. #5

    Double Godlike!

    darmstadt - scorchio!

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    12,997
    Thanks (Given)
    39
    Thanks (Received)
    282
    Likes (Given)
    186
    Likes (Received)
    1198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So lets not bother with voting then. Lets just decide what is best for the country.

    It will become just like Russia then. You will feel at home.
    Isn't that pretty much what May wanted to do by using Royal Prerogative?
    If people like Rupert Murdoch, Nigel Farage, George Galloway, Nick Griffin and Marine Le Pen want Britain to leave the EU. Where does that put you?

  6. #6
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So lets not bother with voting then. Lets just decide what is best for the country. It will become just like Russia then. You will feel at home.
    I am all for voting on referendums, but NOT once in a generation, and also any major change should be approved by more than 1% majority - more importantly anybody who makes major fraudlent claims during vote should go to jail for a very long time.

  7. #7

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad is always on top

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93,450
    Thanks (Given)
    17091
    Thanks (Received)
    4516
    Likes (Given)
    17090
    Likes (Received)
    8031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    I am all for voting on referendums, but NOT once in a generation, and also any major change should be approved by more than 1% majority - more importantly anybody who makes major fraudlent claims during vote should go to jail for a very long time.
    Changed your mind then. I thought you said you just wanted what was best for the country.

    Which is quite a subjective view.

    The fact that you will be kicked out in 2 years - did it influence your decision?
    We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

  8. #8
    AtW
    AtW is offline

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW - scorchio!

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,229
    Thanks (Given)
    1011
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    6283
    Likes (Received)
    2205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Changed your mind then. I thought you said you just wanted what was best for the country. Which is quite a subjective view.The fact that you will be kicked out in 2 years - did it influence your decision?
    Nope, I did not change my mind - I said I am all vote regular referendums, but not for one offs like this one run with tiny majority on basis of lies.

    This in no way contradict my statement above that in CURRENT situation the best thing for the country is for Lord to reject proposal unless it's approved on another referendum - only people got the power to approve it, to be fair Lords tried it but sadly (due to Labour Scum) failed.

    It would be sad if I get kicked out from country, but on a plus side I'd pay a lot less tax.

  9. #9

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad is always on top

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93,450
    Thanks (Given)
    17091
    Thanks (Received)
    4516
    Likes (Given)
    17090
    Likes (Received)
    8031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Nope, I did not change my mind
    You talk such a load of tosh. You should join the HoL.
    We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot - scorchio!

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    15,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    As opposed to the House of Lords who largely want to tear up the whole thing, go back to their subsidised Horlicks and pretend it all never happened?
    Hopefully they'll find a way.
    Ldoenn : 'we're hloding a referneudm to laeve the Eureopean union
    EU: 'OK'
    Scotland: 'we're holding a refeerndum to leave the UK union'
    Ldonon: ' Oh no you're not'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.