• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sovereign Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    As a foreigner who has made the UK their home you should learn about UK politics.

May is elected.

Party leaders are chosen by party members including MPs to be the leader.

The party with the most MPs forms the government.

Hence May is as much elected as Camoron.
    As a native you should have a more realistic viewpoint than what the textbooks say. While this is technically what happens, most people do not vote for who they want as their MP and many probably don't even know or care who their MP is. Their vote is for the party they want in charge, expressed by voting for that party's local representative. The party leader is a huge part of the party's current ethos, direction and manifesto so clearly who the leader is is a very important factor.

Is May following the direction and manifesto Cameron left behind? Because that's what was voted for. Playing DA here to an extent because I don't think a new leader should trigger a GE. But it's not great when the party leader quits so early in a government's term... Cameron should've manned up and stayed on.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      As a native you should have a more realistic viewpoint than what the textbooks say.
      As a native, you should have a more realistic viewpoint about the importance of the textbook. It's a rules-based system, and the PM is an appointed position, not an elected presidency. I recommend King (2008?) The British Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        As a foreigner who has made the UK their home you should learn about UK politics.

May is elected.

Party leaders are chosen by party members including MPs to be the leader.

The party with the most MPs forms the government.

Hence May is as much elected as Camoron.
        WSS

Also, the word "complicit" AtW used suggests some diabolical conspiracy. But the votes for this just increase the Government's democratic mandate to push ahead.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          As a native, you should have a more realistic viewpoint about the importance of the textbook. It's a rules-based system, and the PM is an appointed position, not an elected presidency. I recommend King (2008?) The British Constitution.
          And the referendum was advisory, but that didn't stop lots of toys being thrown out of lots of prams, death threats, and judges being labelled "Enemies of the People" all for no reason other than suggesting the rules should be followed. Even the Government did everything they could to stop the rules being followed.

The word "mandate" is a moral one. Does TM have a mandate to continue the policies of David Cameron? Yes, probably, nobody would really argue against that. Is there a mandate for Brexit? Yes. Is there a mandate for TM to lead the country in a fundamentally different direction to what was promised in the GE and be the only one to decide what Brexit means and block any moves to let either the people or parliament decide anything? Not really.

But there you go. I didn't vote for it.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            With an unwritten constitution based on centuries of tradition, what people want the rules to mean is rather important.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And the referendum was advisory, but that didn't stop lots of toys being thrown out of lots of prams, death threats, and judges being labelled "Enemies of the People" all for no reason other than suggesting the rules should be followed. Even the Government did everything they could to stop the rules being followed.

The word "mandate" is a moral one. Does TM have a mandate to continue the policies of David Cameron? Yes, probably, nobody would really argue against that. Is there a mandate for Brexit? Yes. Is there a mandate for TM to lead the country in a fundamentally different direction to what was promised in the GE and be the only one to decide what Brexit means and block any moves to let either the people or parliament decide anything? Not really.

But there you go. I didn't vote for it.
              Not from me there weren't, but don't let that detail interrupt your Aunt Sally. I always advocate operating by the rules For example, I believe that the Lords have an important role to play. I believe that May should've let Parliament decide from the outset to avoid the inevitable Supreme Court nonsense. I believe that the Daily Fail is a deplorable rag. I even believe that every effort should be taken to honour the 350m per week pledge, although that has nothing to do with rules (which is why Johnson and Gove are on record as stating they would've honoured it, but May did not feel obliged, having not made the argument).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                With an unwritten constitution based on centuries of tradition, what people want the rules to mean is rather important.
                Ah, but what the rules are, in fact, is even more important.

Comment

Working...
                X