• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sovereign Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Er, I think Parliament can and will decide whether Parliament can have a veto. They're voting on the Lords amendments tomorrow. If the Commons decides that it shouldn't have a veto (i.e. that it rejects the Lords amendment on a "meaningful vote") and the Lords concurs on the revised Bill, then that's Parliamentary sovereignty fulfilled

The "meaningful vote" is meaningless BTW, because HMG is not going to recommend a "bad deal", and no deal would be quickly followed by a motion of no confidence and a GE.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      no deal would be quickly followed by a motion of no confidence and a GE.
      Boris says "no deal" is also a fine deal.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Originally posted by Theresa May;
        "No deal for Britain is better than a bad deal for Britain,"
        2 years...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm not sure what Boris has to do with Parliamentary sovereignty, but I suspect that, regardless of the manifest incompetence of HMO, they will think differently, and they can easily bring about a vote. If no deal emerges, there will be a GE, and all the remainers will have ample opportunity to backpeddle on a few stages of grieving and vote in Wallace and Gromit.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            2 years...
            No deal will happen a lot quicker than 2 years.

Comment

I am all for voting on referendums, but NOT once in a generation, and also any major change should be approved by more than 1% majority - more importantly anybody who makes major fraudlent claims during vote should go to jail for a very long time.
              I assume that includes:

- immediately triggering A50 (didn't happen)
              - immediate emergency budget (didn't happen)
              - Cost of £4,300 per family per annum (didn't happen)
              etc......

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                I'm not sure what Boris has to do with Parliamentary sovereignty, but I suspect that, regardless of the manifest incompetence of HMO, they will think differently, and they can easily bring about a vote. If no deal emerges, there will be a GE, and all the remainers will have ample opportunity to backpeddle on a few stages of grieving and vote in Wallace and Gromit.
                Now what do we mean by Parliamentary Sovereignty?

To me, that's the electable house as opposed to the unelected. What's the point of moving from the control of one unelected body to another?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  I assume that includes:

- immediately triggering A50 (didn't happen)
                  - immediate emergency budget (didn't happen)
                  - Cost of £4,300 per family per annum (didn't happen)
                  etc......
                  Osbourne has had to suffer the indignity of a new £650,000 a year, 4 days a month gig with Blackrock. Probably no WFH opportunities there!

He's had his punishment now.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                    Osbourne has had to suffer the indignity of a new £650,000 a year, 4 days a month gig with Blackrock. Probably no WFH opportunities there!

He's had his punishment now.
                    jealousy is a terrible thing.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      So lets not bother with voting then. Lets just decide what is best for the country.
                      When you vote for your MP, you're choosing the person who will decide what is best for his constituency (either as on its own or as part of the country), regardless of the wishes of the actual members of that constituency - though the views of those who voted for him might carry some weight. Parliament then decide what is best for the country - again, largely regardless of the wishes of the citizens.

It would be sad if I get kicked out from country, but on a plus side I'd pay a lot less tax.
                      Have a chat with the authorities of Zug, Switzerland. They like to give good deals on tax to wealthy companies.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X