• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a six month contract after 8 weeks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Thanks for that.

qh
    NLYUK paid me $5000 to do it, (s)he says he likes it. Was hard work though doesn't matter how many redtube videos you watch, that chin follows you round the room, thank goodness for the little blue pill
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Putting contract issues to one side, you're going to piss off quite a few people.

This may or may not come back to bite you on the arse in the future.

I did it once, but the line manager was only miffed as I played footy with them and he lost his star striker!

qh
      Given what he posts he may actually do the opposite. If the hardware was due to appear in February and still hasn't the fact the project team have started to leave due to failed dependencies may allow the PM to get things correctly prioritised
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Spuggie View Post
        I've been contracting for 15+ years and I've never quit a gig before completion. I took on a new 6 month role in January and it's ok, I'm not learning an awful lot and the project is slipping. We still haven't got the production hardware that we were promised at the beginning of February. There is the likelihood that the end of the contract will involve a lot of long hours and weekends to deliver on time. Although the start dates are slipping the PM is not budging on the end date!

Today I got a call from a former client, offering me a rate hike, WFH and a full years contract on a huge project. They want me to start within two weeks. It's a great place to work.

Do I just hand my notice in (one week) and leave? Is this a huge no-no? My reputation is good, I never have trouble getting work. Will jumping ship lead to any legal ramifications, I'm aware the agency will probably hold my pay and I'll have to suck it up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you ever seen a fat lazy contractor naked?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Thanks for that.

qh
          As it happens, his professional name is Al Peculiar.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            As it happens, his professional name is Al Peculiar.
            I thought NLUK was catchier.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You really should not have posted this in General. Business and Contracts would have been better.

Originally posted by Spuggie View Post
              ...Do I just hand my notice in (one week) and leave?
              If you have a one week notice period, and if you don't want to work for current client every again, yes. Otherwise it won't affect anything. The agency may bluster and threaten, but if they have the opportunity of making money from you at a later date, they'll soon forget.
              I'm aware the agency will probably hold my pay and I'll have to suck it up.
              No. No reason for that to happen. If you've done the work and they don't pay, then you just go down the standard dunning route.

If, one the other hand you don't have a small notice period, or even one at all, then you should work out the contract to the end.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                You really should not have posted this in General. Business and Contracts would have been better.

If you have a one week notice period, and if you don't want to work for current client every again, yes. Otherwise it won't affect anything. The agency may bluster and threaten, but if they have the opportunity of making money from you at a later date, they'll soon forget.
                No. No reason for that to happen. If you've done the work and they don't pay, then you just go down the standard dunning route.

If, one the other hand you don't have a small notice period, or even one at all, then you should work out the contract to the end...
                ...or give the one month's notice to terminate the contract and advise you will not be available to supply services for the last three weeks, but that you will be delighted to provide a substitute if they so wish.

Comment

It seems like if you're going to walk, doing it now before things really get started is best for all concerned as it will cause the client less hassle?

Or sub me on your lucrative WFH gig and take a slice.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Just do it - sounds like the current gig is going to be a can of worms. You've got a solid WFH offer from a previous client, it's a no-brainer really.

As others have said, shouldn't be any issues with giving the correct amount of notice (assuming you have a notice period). If it's just a week, work it, tidy up, get timesheet signed and invoice. If it's longer do enough to tidy up anything you've started then tell client you'll be offsite but available for support if necessary until the end of the notice period.

Job done, move on
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Take both jobs on.

Work from home, work from the 2nd client's office until they notice. Sounds like it's slow going anyway.

That's what Scooter would do. (Has done ).
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X