• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probate Fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It is worth noting that your 325k TAX allowance is transferable i.e. a married couple, one dies and leaves it all to their spouse (unlimited tax-free between spouses), then the spouse dies, they have £650k to give before IHT kicks in.
    Yup, and as I've pointed out here before, the Government has actually missed a trick, which is hard to believe considering how desperate they are for money NOW!

As the daft rules stand, if the first partner/spouse to snuff it bequeaths _anything_ to someone other than their partner then inheritance tax is payable on the whole estate (and then again on the entire remnant when the second partner pops orf).

What this obviously means is that the first partner inevitably shifts the whole lot over to the surviving partner, and the tax man sees no interitance tax until the latter has also died.

So it would make more sense (it seems to me, if I haven't misunderstood the rules) to simply levy inheritance tax on any portion of the estate bequeathed to other than the partner. That way, the Government would be no worse off in the end, and they would likely get a piece of the pie when the first partner died.

Also allowing the first partner to bequeath to others without this "double penalty" would generally mean younger relatives inheriting money earlier, which would presumably stimulate the economy, instead of old timers simply hoarding the money in bank accounts.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      As the daft rules stand, if the first partner/spouse to snuff it bequeaths _anything_ to someone other than their partner then inheritance tax is payable on the whole estate
      I'm not sure about that, can you back it up?

When dad died he left virtually everything to mum but with a small amount to myself and my brother (it may have been 5k each IIRC). When mum died, our FA handling all the probate, etc, said mum had inherited something like 95% of dad's IHT allowance i.e. £315k.

I wasn't involved in the small details so I may have this all wrong I suppose.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm not sure about that, can you back it up?

When dad died he left virtually everything to mum but with a small amount to myself and my brother (it may have been 5k each IIRC). When mum died, our FA handling all the probate, etc, said mum had inherited something like 95% of dad's IHT allowance i.e. £315k.

I wasn't involved in the small details so I may have this all wrong I suppose.
        You can leave a "gift" to someone other than your spouse tax free, but I didn't think it was as much as £5k.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Just noticed the massive rise in probate fees. Inheritance tax increase anyone?
          This is effectively now the Inheritance Tax #2 - just like "Auto Enrollment" is National Insurance #2, and since Tory Scum gave no promises regarding those taxes they can increase them with impunity...

Comment

Working...
          X