+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie

    willendure has no reputation


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    14
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Will being caught by IR35 changes be back-dated in an ongoing contract?

    So I've been working in public sector for 12 month outside of IR35. If the public sector body were to now decide that I am inside IR35, would that trigger an IR35 investigation that could lead to me being back-dated for the last 12 months?

    I guess no-one knows for sure, but do you think it is likely?

  2. #2

    Godlike

    barrydidit - scorchio!

    barrydidit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    6,245
    Thanks (Given)
    350
    Thanks (Received)
    410
    Likes (Given)
    1553
    Likes (Received)
    2269

    Default


  3. #3

    Godlike

    MrMarkyMark - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,804
    Thanks (Given)
    666
    Thanks (Received)
    638
    Likes (Given)
    4517
    Likes (Received)
    2596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willendure View Post
    So I've been working in public sector for 12 month outside of IR35. If the public sector body were to now decide that I am inside IR35, would that trigger an IR35 investigation that could lead to me being back-dated for the last 12 months?

    I guess no-one knows for sure, but do you think it is likely?
    I look at it differently, by signing a new contract for the same role you are pretty much admitting it was inside all the time...

  4. #4

    Godlike

    LondonManc - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,659
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I look at it differently, by signing a new contract for the same role you are pretty much admitting it was inside all the time...
    +1 - the rev will simply ask "what's changed?"

    If nothing, brace yourself.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #5

    Super poster

    centurian is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,810
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    38
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    172

    Default

    Legally - not automatically. There was a judgement which showed that someone "because inside IR35" at a certain point. So the concept of being outside IR35 then inside has been proven in court.

    Will that apply to simply signing a new contract and/or will it stop HMRC from trying it on anyway...

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,694
    Thanks (Given)
    124
    Thanks (Received)
    1090
    Likes (Given)
    1570
    Likes (Received)
    5304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Legally - not automatically. There was a judgement which showed that someone "because inside IR35" at a certain point. So the concept of being outside IR35 then inside has been proven in court.

    Will that apply to simply signing a new contract and/or will it stop HMRC from trying it on anyway...
    Not proven but if the client admit they expect D&C and no RoS etc going forward your using those as historic defense is going to be very difficult. I don't think relying on anything in the past is a safe place here. This is new ground.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.