• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    If you do any work as self employed (which a friend of mine does when he doesn't go via an agency) then it's a significant increase in the amount of NI you pay.

Anything over £16k and you are worse off -if you earn £30k then my rough calculation is that you're £300 a year worse off because of the NI change. There are plenty of people out there who are self employed, on far less than £500 a day, who will be hit by the change.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of Labour-supporting accountants out there showing how hard done by people are with lots of examples of "John is a builder". John doesn't put all his fecking work through the books though, allegedly.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
      If you do any work as self employed (which a friend of mine does when he doesn't go via an agency) then it's a significant increase in the amount of NI you pay.

Anything over £16k and you are worse off -if you earn £30k then my rough calculation is that you're £300 a year worse off because of the NI change. There are plenty of people out there who are self employed, on far less than £500 a day, who will be hit by the change.
      Are you taking into account the increase in the tax-free allowance which I think will be £11.5k by 2018 when this kicks in?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        "John is a builder".
        John tidies up by sweeping all his tulip under his customer's bath so when his shoddy workmanship fails, his customer first has to clear all his tulip up before it can be rectified. Only now it's piss wet through. And under the feckin bath. Tax the bastard more, I say.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          John tidies up by sweeping all his tulip under his customer's bath so when his shoddy workmanship fails, his customer first has to clear all his tulip up before it can be rectified. Only now it's piss wet through. And under the feckin bath. Tax the bastard more, I say.
          Sounds like the equivalent of most IT contractors

//TODO: fix this later. (after I've left)
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Bumraped. Discuss...
            You've never wanted to discuss it before, always happy to accept.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You've never wanted to discuss it before, always happy to accept.
              If you are happy to accept, it can't be rape, surely?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                I'm sure there will be plenty of Labour-supporting accountants out there showing how hard done by people are with lots of examples of "John is a builder". John doesn't put all his fecking work through the books though, allegedly.
                Haha true. Most of the Taxi drivers I've spoken to won't work for Uber not because of the low pay but because there is a electronic paper trail of how much they're earning...

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  And the increase in FRS VAT.
                  Except that was never intended to be a means of making free money in the first place, it was just about reducing paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Haha true. Most of the Taxi drivers I've spoken to won't work for Uber not because of the low pay but because there is a electronic paper trail of how much they're earning...
                    One taxi driver that I know well has three sets of books - one for his taxi firm/HMRC, one for him and one for his wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      It's not 7% of 3K, it's your top rate of tax
                      I think you're the third person I've seen say this and its wrong. For most of us it will be an extra 7.5% of £3000, regardless of what your marginal rate of tax is. The dividend allowance affects the bottom slice of your dividend income, not the top slice. Unless the bottom slice of your dividend income is already above the higher rate threshold (i.e. all your non-dividend income already puts you in the higher rate tax bracket), you won't be paying 32.5% on the extra £3k.

Comment

Working...
                      X