• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vocational training shake-up 'most ambitious since A-levels'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vocational training shake-up 'most ambitious since A-levels'

So we throw money in this direction and the skills we so desperately will reappear 'just like that' as Tommy Cooper would say.

Them Tories have broken the economy, you'd be nuts to entered a skilled profession in the UK these days with the poor pay for skilled workers versus the cost of living.

If you want this to succeed you have to get rid of short term profit chasing. I don't sense UK Plc is moving away from that anytime soon.

Vocational and technical education in England is to get an extra £500m a year in a bid to train more skilled workers and boost the economy.

The plans, to be set out in next week's Budget, also include replacing 13,000 existing qualifications with 15 "world-class routes".

Students in further education or at a technical college will also be eligible for maintenance loans.

The new courses are expected to start from the 2019/20 academic year.

The government is calling the plans the most ambitious education reform since the introduction of A-levels 70 years ago.

'Need to be self-sufficient'

The funding will increase the amount of training for 16 to 19-year-olds' by 50%, to 900 hours a year.

A government spokesman said the move was part of its plan to tackle weaknesses in the UK's productivity levels, and so improve living standards.

Association of Colleges chief executive David Hughes said the announcement would make a significant and positive difference, saying technical skills and education had been overlooked for too long.

He said: "Post-Brexit Britain will need more self-sufficiency in developing skills and people will need the confidence, support and opportunities to adapt and change over 50-plus year careers."
    source: Vocational training shake-up 'most ambitious since A-levels' - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    So we throw money in this direction and the skills we so desperately will reappear 'just like that' as Tommy Cooper would say.

Them Tories have broken the economy, you'd be nuts to entered a skilled profession in the UK these days with the poor pay for skilled workers versus the cost of living.

If you want this to succeed you have to get rid of short term profit chasing. I don't sense UK Plc is moving away from that anytime soon.

source: Vocational training shake-up 'most ambitious since A-levels' - BBC News
    Do you realise emigration is for the aspirational working class and those losers that could not succeed at home?

Winners adjust to dire circumstances and thrive regardless. How do you think the UK got out of previous recessions? Not with people like you at the front! You would have been at the back complaining about how those at the front were leading!

Comment

I was at my 14 year-old daughters "Careers-fare" last week. It's an evening where there's a load of local companies & colleges trying to entice the kids to join them rather than just stay on at the sixth-form after their GCSE's.

There was the usual collection of organisations that I remember from when I attended my "careers-fare" 30 plus years ago ( army, airforce, police, fire brigade ) but I was pleasantly surprised at the number of high-tech, high-quality organisations trying to attract apprenticeships.

It was nice to be able to chat to the young men & women about their jobs ( they were 19 - 20 years old, and had done the first wave of apprenticeships rather than typical A-level route ).

So whilst there is definitely not enough good quality places. It is moving in the right direction.

If you are a reasonably bright 16 year old in the UK in 2016 there is so much choice available for you. Far more than when I was that age.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

There was the usual collection of organisations that I remember from when I attended my "careers-fare" 30 plus years ago ( army, airforce, police, fire brigade ) but I was pleasantly surprised at the number of high-tech, high-quality organisations trying to attract apprenticeships.

It was nice to be able to chat to the young men & women about their jobs ( they were 19 - 20 years old, and had done the first wave of apprenticeships rather than typical A-level route ).

So whilst there is definitely not enough good quality places. It is moving in the right direction.
        Went the other way round I did, actually did my highers (Scottish a-levels sort of) and then went into an apprenticeship as an electrician before going to uni.

I'd recommend others to follow this route, having the hands on experience after higher education can really make you stand out from the competition, especially in the early years where everyone complains employers will not hire because of no experience. Never had that issue myself.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X