• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official Budget 2017 DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The Ltd co contractor has the ability to income split to retain entitlement to child benefit.
    oh I think I remember now, it is the higher earnings that are taken into account, if the income split is 50:50 then they retain entitlement.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      What are those benefits exactly, right to get £100 per week by the time I am 70?
      Amongst other things.

Originally posted by davethehedgehog View Post
      Yet another budget aimed at us "tax dodging contractors".
      Sigh. Again. There are not that many contractors around to make targeting us specifically worthwhile. You have to remember contractors like us are just one subset of "self employed and people working through limited companies". This much larger group includes most tradesmen, independent accountants and the like, 1-man web-design companies, journalists and who knows what else.

He mentioned that people shouldn't "get into self employment motivated by paying less tax". I don't think that's a reason many of us did it... we were motivated by higher rates not lower taxes.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Amongst other things.
        What other things?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          They view it as a cost.
          Small financial cost compared to the devastating impact of being hit by an uninsured untaxed and unMOTed vehicle.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            oh I think I remember now, it is the higher earnings that are taken into account, if the income split is 50:50 then they retain entitlement.
            It's another good trick.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Small financial cost compared to the devastating impact of being hit by an uninsured untaxed and unMOTed vehicle.
              HMRC makes money on it

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                This, plus the childcare vouchers, with 2 parents working for the ltd. this is £486/m tax free childcare, which pays for like 2 days/week of Nursery in London...

Comment

Amongst other things.

Sigh. Again. There are not that many contractors around to make targeting us specifically worthwhile. .
                  I don't disagree that it's not worth doing. It's not about making money, it's about the signal it sends. To the people who won't ever move to self employment and also to those who're thinking about it. Different message to each, but equally politically beneficial.

I didn't personally do it for the tax benefits. Mostly because I hit a ceiling in permanent work that was unbreakable. I'm strictly legit and generate probably 2-3 times more tax than I ever did before, and my percentage paid is probably the same as it was previously.

But what this is doing is it's making me look at the money I've been putting to one side to invest, expand and employ. I'm thinking that since the rewards are shrinking in me spending that money on growth, then the risk is becoming less worth it. Especially with the complete mess I'm reading around rates.

What I'm thinking is that I need to reduce my productivity overall, work less and earn less. And that's a shame for all involved

Comment

He mentioned that people shouldn't "get into self employment motivated by paying less tax". I don't think that's a reason many of us did it... we were motivated by higher rates not lower taxes.
                    I wish they'd stop hiding behind this "tax incentivised incorporation excuse" - when I started contracting I did for the higher rates and flexibility and not being tied to all the permy drama/politics etc. When I got my first gig the agent clearly said to me "so are you LTD or umbrella?". He then went on to explain that I had to chose either unless he wanted me to let him fill the role with someone else. Obviously I chose the cheaper option of the 2...

But they will keep wheeling it out and hiding behind it...
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      This, plus the childcare vouchers, with 2 parents working for the ltd. this is £486/m tax free childcare, which pays for like 2 days/week of Nursery in London...
                      Of course, two parents working in normal permanent jobs are also entitled to potentially the same amount of childcare tax free, depending on their salary.

Comment

Working...
                      X