• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official Budget 2017 DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    In 2019 there should be another 2% reduction, so they won't have any dividend allowance left to make up for it...
    Time for you to emigrate....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by davethehedgehog View Post
      Yet another budget aimed at us "tax dodging contractors".
      More than that IMO. An attack on the self employed workforce in general. Lets not forget that the self-employed facing today's NI increase aren't all £500/day IT contractors...its your window cleaner, your hair dresser, your boiler man etc....

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        More than that IMO. An attack on the self employed workforce in general. Lets not forget that the self-employed facing today's NI increase aren't all £500/day IT contractors...its your window cleaner, your hair dresser, your boiler man etc....
        How much cash in hand gets tax paid on it.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Yeah they are all tax avoiding scum.

Remember HMRC randomly targets particular groups.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Early signs are 'White Van Man' isn't happy.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Yeah they are all tax avoiding scum.

Remember HMRC randomly targets particular groups.
              They could easily spot black holes in people's finances in this day and age but it is easier to concentrate on people who couldn't hide any income if they wanted to.

Comment

I have no experience in that sector however I think you're probably right - branch out into different sectors.

Its possible to earn a very decent day rate without working for banks and other mega corporations - maybe not 4 figure day rates (though I know of some people who do what I do that charge that much) - but how many contractors actually earn that much anyway?

Having a steady supply of work over the last 8 years is something I put down almost entirely to making myself known amongst my peers, making a name for myself through contributions to open source projects, blogging, attending events, even speaking at a couple.

I'm no Twitter celebrity but I have nearly 2000 followers - many of whom are peers and I've found a lot of work that way. I get a lot of work through my website because due to my well linked blog (not so much in recent years, I haven't had the time to blog for about 3 years) I get good results on Google. If I'm struggling to find anything I can tweet that I'm looking for work and I'll often get numerous retweets and enquiries as a result.

I go through patches of not getting work still and in recent years I've had a tendency to take on longer projects for the additional security. A long project for me is anything more than 3 months. Almost everything I do tends to revolve around a specific project (which is especially helpful when it comes to IR35) with a key deliverable.

I do occasionally have gigs where I'm brought in to help out an existing development team with the development of an existing product (but I still try and keep the scope as tight as possible). These tend to be longer projects and I will take them on from time to time for the relatively income security - extra diligence is required when it comes to things like D&C and staying on the right side of IR35 though I tend to mitigate this up front by being quite clear about how and where I work (I've had clients want me to be on-site more before and I've said no).

You still need a good warchest - I'm not comfortable with anything less than 12-18 months in my company reserves.

I really ought to find more time to contribute to open source projects again (I was quite prolific many years ago) and blogging but since children came long (I have two now) I rarely have the time. Its important though because my reputation can only last so long without keeping my profile up.

I tend to have two main lines of work - iOS development and backend web development. This can obviously be an advantage as I have two skills to sell but it can also mean more work is involved in keeping abreast in changes. I spent a couple of years doing mostly iOS work and found I'd really fallen behind in keeping up with the changes to the web framework I normally use. Every year there's a new version of the iOS SDK to review and learn.

I've done two gigs through an agency in my 8 years as a freelancer - one was forced on me (big name client, contacted me but needed to go through agency on their preferred supplier list) and the other was a small project for PartyGaming many years ago (probably the dullest project I've ever done).

Sorry if that was all a bit rambling but hopefully useful.
                Thanks so much for this. I have to admit that I have become too complacent. Need to up my game. Perhaps Fintech is the place to be as unlike IB, tech seen as core not cost.

"Banks are no place for coders" - eFinancialCareers

Comment

The official budget thread getting more posts than all other budget related threads - as it should!

Do not accept any substitutions to the official threads!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    No idea, but my window cleaner gets paid by PayPal (and I suspect he makes most of his money from big corporate contracts) and I always get an emailed invoice from the guy who installed and services my boiler (in fact he uses FreeAgent) so I guess they aren't all tax dodgers...

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      You said something about grammar?

So, are you making a statement or don't you know how many IB roles you've 'had that way'?

I'd have thought someone who trumpets being a '2 contractor household again' repeatedly on an internet forum would have a grasp of such things. Clearly not in your case.
                      Given that he didn't know how many IBs had shafted him, I'd suspect the latter. HTHBIDI
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X