• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tell that to the kids of today, and they won't believe you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to code on coding sheets that were sent away to be punched. Hand punching cards when they came back wrong. Keying my JCL cards on a Sperry Univac jukebox. Snipping tape headers when they were too worn out to go through the tape machine. 8" floppy disk drives. The entire floor coming to point at the new fangled Commodore computer that actually fitted on a single desk. Vacuuming out the line printer and changing to the lower case print belt. Taping together boxes of one part so the printer wouldn't run out when I went to the pub on a night shift. Having three pints and a pie every lunchtime on my first contract. Sitting at the console for hours on end with the little dot matrix duplicating the display. Changing the disk packs on a washing machine drive. Being caught in the computer room when the Halon gas went off. That was the only place you couldn't smoke....

Last edited by Lockhouse; 5 March 2017, 08:19.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Can we change the forum name to PensionersUK ?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        From TFA: "It’s true enough that most folks in their 80s rarely use the Web - it became popular after many of them retired from full time work."

True as a generalisation, but my Dad's 85 and uses the Web every day. He used computers before he ever had to at work (I helped him learn how to use the BBC Micro on which he wrote several books), and I was inordinately proud of him when he asked if I wanted his PC's old 80286 motherboard, as he'd recently replaced it with a 486 DX2 - as in, took the PC apart and installed the new motherboard himself

Comment

My Mum who is also 85 came to stay. She brought her iPad, Galaxy S6 and Kindle. She didn't move off the sofa all weekend.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            My Mum who is also 85 came to stay. She brought her iPad, Galaxy S6 and Kindle. She didn't move off the sofa all weekend.
            Tch worse than a teenager.!!!

Comment

Working...
            X