• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Music in the office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    last place I worked at had a resident DJ

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'm usually too busy posting bollox on here to notice
      FTFY
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

An update today,

This morning I spoke directly to the head of the team who are most keen on having music, presenting them with some quotes from web pages output by a Google on the subject. Some positive, some negative.
        In summary some people react well to working around music, others poorly. I am definitely in the latter category.

Anyway I must have had an impact, because the music stopped, and call me paranoid I got the impression people were talking about me behind my back. I definitely heard someone say "who's GJABS?"

Later in the afternoon the boss called me into a private meeting, where he gave me a right telling off for discussing the issue with other people without going through him first. As he had requested yesterday.
        He said "You're just a contractor - you don't have the right to interfere in company procedures".
        But all I did was discuss the issue - I didn't tell them what to do, only what effect it would have on my productivity, and that probably of several others.
        The truth of the matter is that I didn't think he would present the case assertively enough if just left to him - his "solution" being to have me work from home a lot, which is not ideal.

Anyway the boss said that they were going to carry on playing the music.

This might well result in a shorter contract than it would otherwise be, but at least I tried to persuade them.

Comment

Erm.. Well done? :
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            An update today,

This morning I spoke directly to the head of the team who are most keen on having music, presenting them with some quotes from web pages output by a Google on the subject. Some positive, some negative.
            In summary some people react well to working around music, others poorly. I am definitely in the latter category.

Anyway I must have had an impact, because the music stopped, and call me paranoid I got the impression people were talking about me behind my back. I definitely heard someone say "who's GJABS?"

Later in the afternoon the boss called me into a private meeting, where he gave me a right telling off for discussing the issue with other people without going through him first. As he had requested yesterday.
            He said "You're just a contractor - you don't have the right to interfere in company procedures".
            But all I did was discuss the issue - I didn't tell them what to do, only what effect it would have on my productivity, and that probably of several others.
            The truth of the matter is that I didn't think he would present the case assertively enough if just left to him - his "solution" being to have me work from home a lot, which is not ideal.

This might well result in a shorter contract than it would otherwise be, but at least I tried to persuade them.
            You must be popular.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              You must be popular.
              But at least I'm no longer a nobody

Who knows what will happen. It will be discussed in a management meeting next week.

The other thing I had said to them is that I have worked in around 50 offices over the past 20 years, and not one of them had played music. And that if playing music was found to be overall beneficial to worker productivity I think a few of them would have caught on by now.
              Last edited by GJABS; 3 March 2017, 19:58.

Comment

But at least I'm no longer a nobody

Who knows what will happen. It will be discussed in a management meeting next week.

The other thing I had said to them is that I have worked in around 50 offices over the past 20 years, and not one of them had played music. And that if playing music was found to be overall beneficial to worker productivity I think a few of them would have caught on by now.
                So a popular worker then?

It seems to be in Spearmint Rhino's

Comment

An update today,

Do you work in a call centre?

If someone said 'You're just a contractor' to me I'll tell them to **** off.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I agree mostly with this if you want to listen to your tunes use headphones

Comment

Jeez. So many people on here don't really understand this contracting lark, do they? You're there to bill not to moan about or influence company policy.
                      If you couldn't stand it you should have walked out, otherwise leave well enough alone
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X