• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switch to increased day rate within PS IR35 or leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    All these people saying "leave" - I can emphasize with the sentiment but do you think it's reasonable to advise contractors to leave their clients without having any other role to fall back on? If all PS contractors left then how would the private sector soak them up? And that's assuming the contractors can actually get contracts in the private sector.
    I'd say stay if you're okay with the 35% rate cut and are 100% certain you won't suffer a retrospective tax grab.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Ex contractor perspective

I would leave. 3 things got me down about contracting :

The ever increasing shopping list of skills, being inversely proportional to rate.
      The dumbing down of agents - new influx of green wet behind the ears thick numpty bastards.
      The increasing tendency of clients to treat you as a temp.

I rather suspect Her Majesty's government have started a skills drain in the public sector and things have to get worse before they can get better. A few high profile cluster****s ought to do it.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by BradMcA View Post
        If your day rate was £300, working in the public sector happily satisfied your Ir35 status is outside, contracted for two years up until 31/march this year with all invoices and payments made before 6/April.

But the client you do project work for would pay £400 a day to keep you for 2+ more months... Almost certainly putting you within IR35 due to their lack of understanding of the issues would you renew or leave?
        If inside IR35 you will also be responsible for Employers NI as well, which is uncapped above about 150 quid, so gets very expensive, all of the calculations I have seen suggest double the rate when you take into consideration the increased taxes, Employers NI , Employees NI and Expenses. The 20% UK gov has suggested is based on you being inside IR35 before and after but even then doesn't make sense above 350 per day.
        Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          If inside IR35 you will also be responsible for Employers NI as well, which is uncapped above about 150 quid, so gets very expensive, all of the calculations I have seen suggest double the rate when you take into consideration the increased taxes, Employers NI , Employees NI and Expenses. The 20% UK gov has suggested is based on you being inside IR35 before and after but even then doesn't make sense above 350 per day.
          If you're inside IR35, surely you aren't the employer but the employee?
          FTC sounds a better option than inside IR35.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

The ever increasing shopping list of skills, being inversely proportional to rate.
            The dumbing down of agents - new influx of green wet behind the ears thick numpty bastards.

I rather suspect Her Majesty's government have started a skills drain in the public sector and things have to get worse before they can get better. A few high profile cluster****s ought to do it.
            Given the very low starting point, this shouldn't take long...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Given the very low starting point, this shouldn't take long...
              To be fair they also seem to deliberately try and annoy those permies with skills and actually do some work so they end up leaving.

One PS manager was demoted by them putting another layer of management on top of him. He applied for and got another job within a month of that happening. He had come from the private sector and lasted just over a year.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Good God man, walk, bloody walk!

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Could'nt have put it better myself ! Well done.

Comment

I'm not au fait with the new rules but the big issue is that if you stay, they may deem your past work to be inside IR35 or otherwise penalise you?

Is there a 3rd option to consider: work with them via an umbrella for a couple of months or so NOT through YourCo Ltd? Would that distance things enough to avoid the potential problems? I have absolutely no idea how umbrella take-home compares to inside-IR35 though.

edit: ps mods maybe better this in a more serious sub-forum?
                    Last edited by d000hg; 21 March 2017, 13:19.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      If you're inside IR35, surely you aren't the employer but the employee?
                      FTC sounds a better option than inside IR35.
                      Not so, most agencies are asking you to cut rates by 13%, this is for Employers NI and the apprentice levy
                      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
                      X