• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lords defeat government over rights of EU citizens in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's it going in the Reichstag? Figured out where Merkel's migrants are going yet?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Rights of useful EU citizens living in the UK fair enough but why there should be rights for those on long term benefits or criminals?

PS Current rules do seem to prevent benefits in some circumstances or allow removal of criminals/beggars etc. Assume those rules will stay in place or hopefully tightened?
      Last edited by xoggoth; 2 March 2017, 10:13.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        That's exactly what it is. It's ridiculous. The rest of the EU are not complaining about British migrants; there's no likelyhood of the EU not upholding the rights of British citizens. The only government who are threatening this at all are the British government, and it's only the British people who voted for Brexit because of EU migration. But even GB9 thinks migrants should get to stay, so why not simply do the right thing and put everyone's minds at rest?

The whole point, so we were told, was to "get control of our borders" (said in a Monty Python Gumby-man voice). So here's the first opportunity to control who gets to stay and who doesn't, and what happens? We have to wait for the EU to make the decision.
        We want eu migrants to stay but the EU won't reciprocate. The resolution should be that we are bound to let them stay if they reciprocate.

Juncker has already stated it's up to individual member states to decide. So one voice, except when individual voices suit them.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          How's it going in the Reichstag? Figured out where Merkel's migrants are going yet?
          I was there last week. Despite what the Daily Mail readers ernestly believe, Berlin isn't Little Syria. In fact I couldn't help but notice how ethnically diverse it wasn't.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Stupid Lords. I think it's clear that the govt does want to protect the rights of EU citizens already here, and will happily negotiate this in return for a reciprocal arrangement.
            Those are millions of people and families we are talking about here, not cattle. Most of whom are contributing their fair share to the economy and the society. They should be treated with respect not as pawns or bargaining chips.

There should be no need for negotiation. Give them right to stay unilaterally and let the EU states reciprocate, because they will do it. After all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.

Any dream of grinding the 4.5mil (or whatever) EU nationals through a visa applications or whatever system some deluded government official thinks off is pure fiction. Even if the bureaucratic department that is supposed to do this was in place today it will take a decade to process that many applications.

The only solution is blanket decision one way or the other, which means there is only one way of doing this in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Those are millions of people and families we are talking about here, not cattle. Most of whom are contributing their fair share to the economy and the society. They should be treated with respect not as pawns or bargaining chips.

There should be no need for negotiation. Give them right to stay unilaterally and let the EU states reciprocate, because they will do it. After all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.

Any dream of grinding the 4.5mil (or whatever) EU nationals through a visa applications or whatever system some deluded government official thinks off is pure fiction. Even if the bureaucratic department that is supposed to do this was in place today it will take a decade to process that many applications.

The only solution is blanket decision one way or the other, which means there is only one way of doing this in reality.
              WHS...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Exactly. Now why not tell that to Mr Juncker and then we can put this non-issue to bed?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

TAfter all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.
                  I'm not sure that's true at all

Angela Merkel says 'nein' to Theresa May's calls for early deal on rights of EU migrants and British ex-pats

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-referendum

Brexit: Theresa May's call for deal on EU migrant rights 'blocked by Angela Merkel' | The Independent

As far as I can see, the UK is trying to get this resolved quickly, and Germany is saying know, presumably to use this as a bargaining chip.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I was there last week. Despite what the Daily Mail readers ernestly believe, Berlin isn't Little Syria. In fact I couldn't help but notice how ethnically diverse it wasn't.
                    You could say the same about Paris if you stroll down the Rue de Whatever outside the Louvre, or London if you're in Mayfair. The immigrants are tucked away in large areas of the suburbs which the police hardly dare enter (and in Germany's case also distributed across dozens of towns not just Berlin).
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Exactly. Now why not tell that to Mr Juncker and then we can put this non-issue to bed?

The EU does not have power in this area. The member states do.

Comment

Working...
                      X