+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Godlike

    LondonManc - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,646
    Thanks (Given)
    319
    Thanks (Received)
    577
    Likes (Given)
    2189
    Likes (Received)
    2584

    Default

    How's it going in the Reichstag? Figured out where Merkel's migrants are going yet?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  2. #12

    Double Godlike!

    xoggoth is NOT a disguised employee

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    11,451
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    206
    Likes (Given)
    81
    Likes (Received)
    870

    Default

    Rights of useful EU citizens living in the UK fair enough but why there should be rights for those on long term benefits or criminals?

    PS Current rules do seem to prevent benefits in some circumstances or allow removal of criminals/beggars etc. Assume those rules will stay in place or hopefully tightened?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 2nd March 2017 at 09:13.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  3. #13
    GB9
    GB9 is offline

    Super poster

    GB9 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mainly on a train
    Posts
    3,060
    Thanks (Given)
    82
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Likes (Given)
    292
    Likes (Received)
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's exactly what it is. It's ridiculous. The rest of the EU are not complaining about British migrants; there's no likelyhood of the EU not upholding the rights of British citizens. The only government who are threatening this at all are the British government, and it's only the British people who voted for Brexit because of EU migration. But even GB9 thinks migrants should get to stay, so why not simply do the right thing and put everyone's minds at rest?

    The whole point, so we were told, was to "get control of our borders" (said in a Monty Python Gumby-man voice). So here's the first opportunity to control who gets to stay and who doesn't, and what happens? We have to wait for the EU to make the decision.
    We want eu migrants to stay but the EU won't reciprocate. The resolution should be that we are bound to let them stay if they reciprocate.

    Juncker has already stated it's up to individual member states to decide. So one voice, except when individual voices suit them.

  4. #14

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan is NOT a disguised employee

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (UK region)
    Posts
    11,052
    Thanks (Given)
    56
    Thanks (Received)
    186
    Likes (Given)
    284
    Likes (Received)
    1076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    How's it going in the Reichstag? Figured out where Merkel's migrants are going yet?
    I was there last week. Despite what the Daily Mail readers ernestly believe, Berlin isn't Little Syria. In fact I couldn't help but notice how ethnically diverse it wasn't.
    Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale.

  5. #15
    sal
    sal is offline

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    37
    Likes (Given)
    191
    Likes (Received)
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
    Stupid Lords. I think it's clear that the govt does want to protect the rights of EU citizens already here, and will happily negotiate this in return for a reciprocal arrangement.
    Those are millions of people and families we are talking about here, not cattle. Most of whom are contributing their fair share to the economy and the society. They should be treated with respect not as pawns or bargaining chips.

    There should be no need for negotiation. Give them right to stay unilaterally and let the EU states reciprocate, because they will do it. After all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.

    Any dream of grinding the 4.5mil (or whatever) EU nationals through a visa applications or whatever system some deluded government official thinks off is pure fiction. Even if the bureaucratic department that is supposed to do this was in place today it will take a decade to process that many applications.

    The only solution is blanket decision one way or the other, which means there is only one way of doing this in reality.

  6. #16

    Double Godlike!

    darmstadt is NOT a disguised employee

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    12,461
    Thanks (Given)
    38
    Thanks (Received)
    222
    Likes (Given)
    178
    Likes (Received)
    1029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Those are millions of people and families we are talking about here, not cattle. Most of whom are contributing their fair share to the economy and the society. They should be treated with respect not as pawns or bargaining chips.

    There should be no need for negotiation. Give them right to stay unilaterally and let the EU states reciprocate, because they will do it. After all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.

    Any dream of grinding the 4.5mil (or whatever) EU nationals through a visa applications or whatever system some deluded government official thinks off is pure fiction. Even if the bureaucratic department that is supposed to do this was in place today it will take a decade to process that many applications.

    The only solution is blanket decision one way or the other, which means there is only one way of doing this in reality.
    WHS...
    If people like Rupert Murdoch, Nigel Farage, George Galloway, Nick Griffin and Marine Le Pen want Britain to leave the EU. Where does that put you?

  7. #17

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is a fount of knowledge

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    23,263
    Thanks (Given)
    1320
    Thanks (Received)
    2695
    Likes (Given)
    1781
    Likes (Received)
    3575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Those are millions of people and families we are talking about here, not cattle. Most of whom are contributing their fair share to the economy and the society. They should be treated with respect not as pawns or bargaining chips.
    Exactly. Now why not tell that to Mr Juncker and then we can put this non-issue to bed?

    “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits!"

  8. #18

    Ducklike

    Platypus 's job has never been outsourced

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    8,332
    Thanks (Given)
    25
    Thanks (Received)
    85
    Likes (Given)
    772
    Likes (Received)
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    TAfter all it's the UK that started this mexican stand off, not the other way around.
    I'm not sure that's true at all

    Angela Merkel says 'nein' to Theresa May's calls for early deal on rights of EU migrants and British ex-pats

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-referendum

    Brexit: Theresa May's call for deal on EU migrant rights 'blocked by Angela Merkel' | The Independent


    As far as I can see, the UK is trying to get this resolved quickly, and Germany is saying know, presumably to use this as a bargaining chip.

  9. #19

    Double Godlike!

    OwlHoot is NOT a disguised employee

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    12,860
    Thanks (Given)
    287
    Thanks (Received)
    200
    Likes (Given)
    2814
    Likes (Received)
    942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was there last week. Despite what the Daily Mail readers ernestly believe, Berlin isn't Little Syria. In fact I couldn't help but notice how ethnically diverse it wasn't.
    You could say the same about Paris if you stroll down the Rue de Whatever outside the Louvre, or London if you're in Mayfair. The immigrants are tucked away in large areas of the suburbs which the police hardly dare enter (and in Germany's case also distributed across dozens of towns not just Berlin).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  10. #20

    Super poster

    northernladyuk is NOT a disguised employee

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    2,502
    Thanks (Given)
    258
    Thanks (Received)
    118
    Likes (Given)
    165
    Likes (Received)
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Exactly. Now why not tell that to Mr Juncker and then we can put this non-issue to bed?

    The EU does not have power in this area. The member states do.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.