• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brits hurrying to become German citizens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    And?

If they're all based in the UK it's because employment law is more favourable for them here than elsewhere in the EU, despite the EU's best efforts to "harmonise" it.

So post Brexit there will be even more incentive for them to stay in the UK (assuming Labour don't get in and feck up everything by destroying with misguided legislation what little competitive advantage we have).
    Can you put that in larger font and smaller words for assgurner please? He struggles with this sort of thing.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If I decided to go back to work and live in Europe Germany would be my first choice. I have Scottish friends living there and get the occasional work offer but not tempted yet. No matter, when I retire I'll be moving from the UK permanently anyway.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        And?

If they're all based in the UK it's because employment law is more favourable for them here than elsewhere in the EU, despite the EU's best efforts to "harmonise" it.

So post Brexit there will be even more incentive for them to stay in the UK (assuming Labour don't get in and feck up everything by destroying with misguided legislation what little competitive advantage we have).
        Depends if post Brexit there are tariffs or not and whether any perceived UK employment advantages make up for the loss of free access to a much larger market doesn't it?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Can you put that in larger font and smaller words for assgurner please? He struggles with this sort of thing.
          Unfortunately no amount of BS will make up for the fact that you're not the sharpest tool in the box. But deep down you know that don't you?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            If I decided to go back to work and live in Europe Germany would be my first choice. I have Scottish friends living there and get the occasional work offer but not tempted yet. No matter, when I retire I'll be moving from the UK permanently anyway.
            Munich Scottish Association e.V.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              My friends live in Munich and never tire of tempting me to go there and oh so tempting it is but not yet.

Much as I've been to Germany many times for work always around the Ruhr which I believe is different from Bavaria although I enjoyed all the places there especially Köln and its Kölsch.

Johnny is arranging a band reunion in Munich for later this year so I'll get to see more of Germany.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                A very relevant topic for me and my family. The whole reason I'm working part time at the minute is to focus on my Deutsch lessons. Having to apply for a visa every time I apply for work in a EU country will kill my career. I prefer not to have the doubt. Good to read what other Brits are doing.
                There is this thing called the EU Blue Card (that the UK has opted out of) that enables non-EU citizens to work anywhere in the EU (except for in those countries that have opted out, e.g. the UK - for now) as employees, provided that they have a guaranteed income in excess of 1.5x the average national income of the employer.

A good number of Australians, New Zealanders and Americans have set up companies in the EU and put themselves on payroll in them in order to qualify for the card and contract anywhere within the EU. For whatever reason, people from a number of other (non-EU) countries don't, probably because their main target is the UK.
                Last edited by m0n1k3r; 27 February 2017, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Don't forget the bit of Greek in him.
                  Nobody will forget that night.

Comment

You might be happy to throw caution to the wind but many Brits living in Germany are more educated than that.
                    Don't think negotiations have started yet have they?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                      Don't think negotiations have started yet have they?
                      I know of no one amongst my fraternity out here that is waiting for negotiations to begin before acting. If you're smart you've already got a plan underway before allowing those idiots in London to screw up many lives.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X