• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer Timekeeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer Timekeeping

So I am working on a project in a PM capacity with couple of devs and testers, standard setup.
    However one of the contractor developers doesn't rock up until after 10.00am each morning which means any team huddles, meets cannot happen until he rocks up.

So I am going to suggest to the permie manger who oversees him that he is asked to come in for 9.00 (9.30am latest) so as the project day can start then. Fair enough request me thinks ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    So I am working on a project in a PM capacity with couple of devs and testers, standard setup.
    However one of the contractor developers doesn't rock up until after 10.00am each morning which means any team huddles, meets cannot happen until he rocks up.

So I am going to suggest to the permie manger who oversees him that he is asked to come in for 9.00 (9.30am latest) so as the project day can start then. Fair enough request me thinks ?
    What does it say in his contract?

Comment

Very reasonable.

Such people usually find they are last in line for an extension, or will even face an early bath.
      Depends on the culture of the organisation.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Mike is that you? Just tell it to my face

Comment

Or you could just have less team huddles (for gods sake) - you pay a professional let him do the work. If you are the PM and you want the team to know what everyone is doing tell em - if you don't understand what people are doing then figure it out.

I'm all for a team catching up with each other and communicating but these enforced huddles piss me off.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            What does it say in his contract?
            I don't know. My contract say x hours per day and I guess their's states the same. I see this from a project delivery perspective and if the wording is the same as mine, I would feel it okay to raise this internally given it is impacting my delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              Or you could just have less team huddles (for gods sake) - you pay a professional let him do the work. If you are the PM and you want the team to know what everyone is doing tell em - if you don't understand what people are doing then figure it out.

I'm all for a team catching up with each other and communicating but these enforced huddles piss me off.
              It is just because of team huddles but working collaboratively as a team - the other devs at the moment need inputs from him for example, which they cannot do until he is in.

Comment

It is just because of team huddles but working collaboratively as a team - the other devs at the moment need inputs from him for example, which they cannot do until he is in.
                So every day the other devs are waiting for him to tell them something so they can do their job - is that right?

Can't they speak to each other through out the day?

Comment

I faced a similar issue when I was trying to deliver a medium size IB project.

The client picked up on it and I tried to give the person a heads up that the client was not happy with a 10:30 start, given there were calls at 9.
                  Unfortunately she didn't listen and the client let her go a couple of extra chances later.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm late every day and I absolutely LOVE IT.

Comment

Working...
                    X