• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer Timekeeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started at 10 at a number of gigs, particularly in London, as it made the commute a lot easier both morning and evening. The clients had a flexitime system with 10-4 core hours (which is pretty standard) so this wasn't a problem.

On one gig, the PM had a need to move the morning standup to 9:45 (from the previous 10:15) for some reason I forget. We were all OK with that, but it still needed to be signed off by HR as it went against the core hours. Have you checked what the core hours are at your place? Maybe you have no power to schedule stuff before 10 and demand anybody's attendance at that time in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
      So I am working on a project in a PM capacity with couple of devs and testers, standard setup.
      However one of the contractor developers doesn't rock up until after 10.00am each morning which means any team huddles, meets cannot happen until he rocks up.

So I am going to suggest to the permie manger who oversees him that he is asked to come in for 9.00 (9.30am latest) so as the project day can start then. Fair enough request me thinks ?
      TBH I don't think its any of your business, unless the permy manager has an issue, may be the guy has agreed it, may be he has to drop the kids off at school etc haven't you ever heard of flexible working ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        Tell me about it, I find it nuts to be fair but at the moment I'm covering all the work done by these teams and where the development teams have been ramped up to full strength quite quickly using contractors testing has nowhere near the correct amount of bodies to cope.
        I ran three, sometimes four stand ups every morning for a period of three months and it burnt me out. It's not sustainable to any level of quality even in the medium term.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
          TBH I don't think its any of your business, unless the permy manager has an issue, may be the guy has agreed it, may be he has to drop the kids off at school etc haven't you ever heard of flexible working ?
          Only unless it affects the quality of my project delivery for which he is a key developer on and which I am on the hook for, of course it's not any of my business. But it is affecting the quality of my project delivery and so it has become my business.

I have raised it informally internally and will let the decision makers address it.

Comment

Only unless it affects the quality of my project delivery for which he is a key developer on and which I am on the hook for, of course it's not any of my business. But it is affecting the quality of my project delivery and so it has become my business.

I have raised it informally internally and will let the decision makers address it.
            How is it affecting the quality of your delivery?

I suspect you've managed to annoy said contractor and that will have done more to damage your project than anything else you could do. I know that once someone has annoyed me I'm not going to go above and beyond for them - and if I can make them look bad at the same time that's all the better.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              How is it affecting the quality of your delivery?

I suspect you've managed to annoy said contractor and that will have done more to damage your project than anything else you could do. I know that once someone has annoyed me I'm not going to go above and beyond for them - and if I can make them look bad at the same time that's all the better.
              No, I haven't them. What makes you suspect that ?
              And I have no intention of making them look bad - I don't operate like that.

Comment

You micro manage people - that would be enough to annoy me.

If you don't understand what that means go back to your first post where you talk about project day and start times.

Different posters have pointed out different ways for you to deal with this without putting people's backs up.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You micro manage people - that would be enough to annoy me.

If you don't understand what that means go back to your first post where you talk about project day and start times.

Different posters have pointed out different ways for you to deal with this without putting people's backs up.
                  Sorry but expecting someone to be in the office prior to 10.00am is not micro-managing (and still not a big ask imho) !! How can it be ?!!
                  You and Eek have jumped to conclusions here which are simply not true.

Comment

My point was that the developer will be trying to make you look bad which won't be difficult as you've done half the work already yourself.

You have been shown to be a micro manager (complaining about time keeping) and worse one that can't even manage very minor issues like that yourself (you had to get someone else to raise the issue on your behalf).

One final question did you recruit this developer or was he recruited by someone else. Don't worry if you don't answer its a lose / lose question based on your current attitude..

Keep arguing as much as you want but you've already screwed up - you just aren't bright enough to realise....
                    Last edited by eek; 24 February 2017, 15:41.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sorry but expecting someone to be in the office prior to 10.00am is not micro-managing (and still not a big ask imho) !! How can it be ?!!
                      You and Eek have jumped to conclusions here which are simply not true.
                      You simply don't get it do you?

Others have given you a variety of reasons why it may be a big ask.

Treat the developer like an adult and stop fecking around over time keeping. The fact that developer works later may one day save your bacon.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X