• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer Timekeeping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most devs work in Agile projects. I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to get in in time for the daily standup/huddle. Mines at 10 am so i 'rock in' around 9-9.30 am.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Most devs work in Agile projects. I don't think its unreasonable to expect him to get in in time for the daily standup/huddle. Mines at 10 am so i 'rock in' around 9-9.30 am.
      You don't do a school run though do you?

Plenty of people do school runs so turn up at 10am. All that you need to do is move the stand up to 10:15 and then kick up if he's late.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You don't do a school run though do you?

Plenty of people do school runs so turn up at 10am. All that you need to do is move the stand up to 10:15 and then kick up if he's late.
        You're assuming that he does. School run or not most places with flexi-time mandate core hours of 10am to 4pm, not unreasonable to expect people who you are paying hundreds of pounds a day to to be around between those hours.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          And I think any person arriving at 10.00 is taking the micky anyhow quite frankly.
          Utter rubbish. I've been rolling in anywhere up to 10 in most gigs I've done, along with other people. That's a terrible attitude for a contractor to have. You sound like some permie automaton.

It does depend in the situation but a blanket statement like that is just Mehhhh. I've done this to avoid traffic at some gigs but I've taken calls in the car or before I set off and work late to compensate. Sadly some pillocks in the office don't realise this when then get up and leave at 4. Other gigs I've done it because it suits me. I'm a contractor.

When did delivering have anything to do with time you arrive at a client?

As I say depends on the situation. Got to prove to the client you can deliver before you start doing it and that it doesn't impact the work but if it's done properly there is no issue with it at all.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Utter rubbish. I've been rolling in anywhere up to 10 in most gigs I've done, along with other people. That's a terrible attitude for a contractor to have. You sound like some permie automaton.

It does depend in the situation but a blanket statement like that is just Mehhhh. I've done this to avoid traffic at some gigs but I've taken calls in the car or before I set off and work late to compensate. Sadly some pillocks in the office don't realise this when then get up and leave at 4. Other gigs I've done it because it suits me. I'm a contractor.

When did delivering have anything to do with time you arrive at a client?

As I say depends on the situation. Got to prove to the client you can deliver before you start doing it and that it doesn't impact the work but if it's done properly there is no issue with it at all.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Is he finishing later than the rest of the team as well? If so, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Just move the standup. If your developers are waiting for him to get in, ask him to provide the information they need as his final task of the day before he goes home.

Comment

NLUK alluded to what is needed as a solution IMO.

If he can't join in person he should join by phone?
                Quite often happens where I am, no one bats an eyelid.

As long as it does affect delivery pretty much anything goes.

In the situation I described earlier, the contractor that was let go, just used to miss the calls and not even bother to dial in.
                That didn't go down well.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

WMM said but it's a tough call when it the whole team though.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    Is he finishing later than the rest of the team as well? If so, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Just move the standup. If your developers are waiting for him to get in, ask him to provide the information they need as his final task of the day before he goes home.
                    Don't offer reasonable solutions let the OP moan about the fact he can't treat the developer like an adult.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Don't offer reasonable solutions let the OP moan about the fact he can't treat the developer like an adult.
                      Sorry, I forgot where I was for a moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X