• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get my lad a car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep an open mind on the TPFT thing. I agree just junk it if he does damage it but I believe some TPFT policies are more expensive than the comprehensive ones.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Either a small, low powered car so they don't drive like a loony or a tank-like Volvo. We have both - I bought the Citroen C1 for them to practice driving while taking lessons. But they get to drive the Volvo as well, since under Swiss insurance, it's the car that's insured, not the person. Under 25s just have a bigger excess.

Buying a second hand low powered car (or an old volvo) isn't really spoiling the kid in my view. It means you've got someone to drive you home from the pub.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Keep an open mind on the TPFT thing. I agree just junk it if he does damage it but I believe some TPFT policies are more expensive than the comprehensive ones.

^^This.........only old people approach car insurance thinking TPFT will be cheap.

Just been through this with my 17yr old son. Ironically, the insurance was relatively cheap for him to learn. £75 per month with Marmalade as long as the car was worth less than £20K (on top of the main drivers insurance). I expected his own insurance would be about the same for him once he passed. Wishful thinking......
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Yours for less than £400.....

I think you've confused me with diseasex
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sounds like a few have had this dilemma too.
            Also - what car to get ? Used to be easy, get an old clunker, front up the insurance and give it a few years but that isn't the no brainer it used to be.
            - Insurance rules so 1.0 city car ?
            - Fit a box (ok with this, has to help with driving safety) ?
            - New on a lease or 3yrs old or 5 yrs old ?

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              Also - what car to get ? Used to be easy, get an old clunker, front up the insurance and give it a few years but that isn't the no brainer it used to be.
              The whole box thing is not as clear and simple as they make it look. Small car (1.0/1.2) less than 8 years old as some places won't insure young drivers on cars over 8 years old.

The box thing looks good on the surface but some have curfews and most also don't define their 'rules' using conditions like "activity we deem to be likely to increase risk will cause a surcharge" so you actually have no idea what it ultimately cost you. Kid driving you to A&E at 3.00AM ? Kid regularly coming home after midnight ? Kid driving on the M25 ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

More money than sense. Not only that, but I doubt you'd get a lease for a youngster.

10 years old, something with good breaks and low acceleration. Petrol engine, very low number of gadgets for them to mess around with but ideally some way of plugging their phone into the stereo so they can simply put their music on and not crash while changing radio channels.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Plenty of guides for young drivers on the web. You've got to crunch the numbers and make your own decision. It's highly dependent on your area so have a look at the guides on the web and then start getting some quotes.

I'd expect every parent has this dilemma. Well maybe not the rich ones with spoilt kids but anyone that is watching a budget and want's their kids to understand the value of money and the responsibility of driving a car will. If you don't have a dilemma over this I'd say you are doing something wrong. For a start figures like 17-19 year olds make up only 1.5% of the licence owning population yet account for 9% of all serious accidents is heart stopping for a parent.

Comment

My 17 yr old is tentatively tapping me up for a car.
                    I can easily afford this but I am very conflicted about it because I have seen things given too easy to kids which dulls their need to get stuff for themselves and push on.
                    But I also want to reward him for efforts so far and he rarely asks for anything (maybe cos he doesn't need to !)
                    OR am I just anchored on my own experience - £50 mini given to me when bruv finished uni, which lasted 12 months.
                    Anyone else in same boat ? What did you do/are going to do ?
                    I'd probably do something along the lines of what my parents did for me when I was that age and wanted to but a moped.

'Twas the summer of 1981 and I spent the holidays painting the windows of my folks' not exactly small country house for which they gave me £150. The rest I made up with a job as a plongeur down the local pub and a bit of sticking up at the same venue.

I really loved that bike. Partly because I'd worked so damn hard for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

I really loved that bike. Partly because I'd worked so damn hard for it...
                      And that's part of the lesson. If his lad is sat on his arse at home, CBA to work and a car appears what's he learned? How's his attitude changed? What value does he attach to that car?

Comment

Working...
                      X