• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PIV - Positive Induced Ventilation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIV - Positive Induced Ventilation?

Anyone had this?

Basically a posh term for a fan mounted out of the way that sucks air into/out of the house 24/7, that subsequently gets vented out thus reducing humidity.

rl4 Seniors house; typical 60's tulip bungalow, double glazed, gas fire where chimney was, is having humidity issues (70-80%) which with other health issues and their age is no good thing.

Any companies or devices that people have used? Neuair? Drimaster?

I'd either get a company in or buy the bits and get a HVAC engineer in, I don't particularly want to spend a weekend drilling 6" holes in a house.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

What if it's humid outside?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Have you tried any alternatives first?

Being a cave the house in Spain suffers from excess moisture in the air and we started using small moisture absorbing traps that collect the water out of the air, less invasive and a good first start to see how bad a problem you really have
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Have you tried any alternatives first?

Being a cave the house in Spain suffers from excess moisture in the air and we started using small moisture absorbing traps that collect the water out of the air, less invasive and a good first start to see how bad a problem you really have
        No worries, SimonMac is here now. He'll suck out the life from this thread.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          No worries, SimonMac is here now. He'll suck out the life from this thread.
          Speaking of sucking, how's the missus?! Tell her the boys from the rugby club said hello
          Last edited by SimonMac; 23 February 2017, 11:53.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Things to try first in order of expense:
            1. Opening windows daily including in winter
            2. Making sure all air bricks are unblocked, and blocked chimneys have one or a grate in them.
            3. Window and wardrobe moisture traps
            4. A dehumidifier with a humidity sensor. Some can be connected permanently to a drain. You do need to clean the filter every week without fail otherwise they break within a year.

Obviously opening windows doesn't work in rooms facing North or when it's raining.

Also not using the gas fire. Fires and heaters add extra moisture into the air there as boiler are sealed and vented completely outside.

Do each of the double glazed windows have a trickle vents? If so they should be opened at all times.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Heat recovery system?

Sucks out air, replaces it with fresh outside air brought up to 90% of the temperature of the outgoing air. will have a boost for times when moisture is being created - showering / cooking.

less heat loss, still fresh air & you can filter it if need be.

You can also target it to wet areas.

In the summer you can bypass the heat recovery & take the air from a cooler side of the house.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Dehumidifiers work quite well if you can afford the cost of the electricity.
                He missed our random discussion on TPD though it was mainly about drying washing.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                  Anyone had this?

Basically a posh term for a fan mounted out of the way that sucks air into/out of the house 24/7, that subsequently gets vented out thus reducing humidity.

rl4 Seniors house; typical 60's tulip bungalow, double glazed, gas fire where chimney was, is having humidity issues (70-80%) which with other health issues and their age is no good thing.

Any companies or devices that people have used? Neuair? Drimaster?

I'd either get a company in or buy the bits and get a HVAC engineer in, I don't particularly want to spend a weekend drilling 6" holes in a house.
                  Supposedly they work well although the box that houses it can be unsightly as it's a fair size; perhaps they are smaller these days. I've experience of flat roof houses in an area where there really shouldn't be - ie it rained a lot. This was combined with some clown blocking up the original air vents and double glazing being installed which lead to real problem with black mould. The said house also had solid concrete floors upstairs - it was verging on non-standard construction. I used two small dehumidifiers upstairs during the problem winter months plus opened the air vents. Modern double glazing should have trickle vents. During the summer I left the top lights on a couple of windows slightly open. I also used stuff on the walls called Wallrock Thermal Liner:

Thermal wallpaper - go wallpaper

It's not cheap but sorts the mould problem a treat as there's not such a temperature change between the warm moist internal air and the cold walls of the house. I can go on about this for hours!

Comment

Cheers for the replies,

I've been quoted £490+vat or £550+vat with a heater, they do an assessment first, only fit if suitable etc. Seems a legit company and decent reviews (condensationcured.co.uk)

@PurpleGorilla

Well even in this weather it would be less than 70-80% outside as the air is moving about. Their bungalow is just full of stale air (water from breathing, washing, showers, cooking etc.)

@SimonMac

They have a dehumidifier, I ran it constantly and it reduced humidity to ~60 in a day or so. But these are expensive to run and I'm conscious they just suck water into a bowl; there's no real circulation of air.

@zeitghost

Yep but being of the older generation, I'd worry they'd turn it off to 'save money' where s a fixed fan uses about 5W so costs about 1p a day to run.

@SueEllen
                    1. Yep they do open windows, but that leads to cold rooms and arguments.
                    2. Think it's had cavity wall insulation, so no vents. I wanted to rip gas fire out to restore chimney draw (there's 4 in rl4 towers and I love them)
                    3. Not heard of/used moisture traps, just seems a bit like moving the water from the air to a damp bowl?
                    4. Dehumidifier, see above re running costs, maintenance etc.

They don't use gas fire, I can feel negligible draw through the vent. Not sure about trickle vents, I suspect not.

@vetran
                    HRS - Sounds good but expensive? Lots of pipes everywhere?
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                    X