• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Greatest Record Album

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Having been a U2 fan since the beginning, and think I first saw them in M/cr about 1982, must have seen them in that period a dozen times, then onwards to Cardiff Arms Park Joshua Tree Tour, Bono did preach a bit even then, there just wasn't really the outlet other than the stage back then, no real internet or abundant telly.

I largely agree tho - after the Joshua Tree Bono went too far with his rants and the music went a bit crap with the odd good song or two.

Adam Clayton getting royalties is a travesty though, three notes on the bass is a bit of a joke....

Never met any of them, unusual for those days, used to be able to get to back stage fairly easily or wait outside the stage door.

Sang and played with Glen Hansard (of the Frames and the movie Once - Falling Slowly) in The Blue Light pub on the Wicklow Mountains in South Dublin when on contract in Sandyford, was kind of an open mike with no mike just everyone sat with guitars. Again, happy days....

I'd no idea it was him at the time....
    I loved their older stuff; the last album of theirs that I got on vinyl (chose it over tape) was Achtung Baby. That was also probably the last album of theirs that I truly thought was brilliant, with Zooropa probably signalling the start of Bono's journey through his own sphincter. Rattle and Hum was my favourite album of theirs but it's too easy now just to put the first era best of on Spotify.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've got The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' LP in original sleeve, pretty shocking now, there'd be uproar nowadays...
      I have the Blind Faith album which I think would also cause a stink nowadays.

I'll need to dig out a review I did of U2 in a fanzine back from the early 80's when they played in Manchester once. They were supporting a reggae band and The Hamsters. From the murky depths all I can remembers is stating that Bono couldn't sing to save his life and they were pretty crap
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I have the Blind Faith album which I think would also cause a stink nowadays.

I'll need to dig out a review I did of U2 in a fanzine back from the early 80's when they played in Manchester once. They were supporting a reggae band and The Hamsters. From the murky depths all I can remembers is stating that Bono couldn't sing to save his life and they were pretty crap
        Was that the Beach Club gig?

Comment

Used to own this back in the day. "Kamikaze Yellow Vinyl" I think it was marketed as..........not very PC but it WAS the late 70s. Quite a comprehensive manual free with it as I recall.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Talking Heads... Fear of Music. Seminal David Byrne.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Aye, the best I ever bought just wish I had bought two and only opened one. MP3 downloads these days, pfft

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              DSOTM.

Wish You Were Here.

Brilliant.

Especially if one carefully slit the black plastic wrap around WYWH in approved truly absent fashion.

Me, me, me...

Comment

This arrived the other day in the post:

This has been sitting around for ages, must play it again as Morrison is off of his trolley:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Was that the Beach Club gig?
                  I think it was at a university somewhere in Manchester...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Aye, the best I ever bought just wish I had bought two and only opened one. MP3 downloads these days, pfft
                    And that goes for CDs and a;ll the other crap that has been offered up as formats over the years.

Vinyl was top draw whether you play it on a Technics 1210 or a Linn Sondek
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      And that goes for CDs and a;ll the other crap that has been offered up as formats over the years.

Vinyl was top draw whether you play it on a Technics 1210 or a Linn Sondek
                      Yep, Technics kit which I still have although I only use the amp with Mordaunt Short speakers these days. I did have Linn a setup in later years but CD not a turntable, got it free cos I knew the owner.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X