• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Greatest Record Album

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The special bit is that it was from an era when U2 produced great songs and didn't lecture. No album notes, preachy anecdotes, nothing. Less is more sometimes.
    Having been a U2 fan since the beginning, and think I first saw them in M/cr about 1982, must have seen them in that period a dozen times, then onwards to Cardiff Arms Park Joshua Tree Tour, Bono did preach a bit even then, there just wasn't really the outlet other than the stage back then, no real internet or abundant telly.

I largely agree tho - after the Joshua Tree Bono went too far with his rants and the music went a bit crap with the odd good song or two.

Adam Clayton getting royalties is a travesty though, three notes on the bass is a bit of a joke....

Never met any of them, unusual for those days, used to be able to get to back stage fairly easily or wait outside the stage door.

Sang and played with Glen Hansard (of the Frames and the movie Once - Falling Slowly) in The Blue Light pub on the Wicklow Mountains in South Dublin when on contract in Sandyford, was kind of an open mike with no mike just everyone sat with guitars. Again, happy days....

I'd no idea it was him at the time....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Having been a U2 fan since the beginning, and think I first saw them in M/cr about 1982, must have seen them in that period a dozen times, then onwards to Cardiff Arms Park Joshua Tree Tour, Bono did preach a bit even then, there just wasn't really the outlet other than the stage back then, no real internet or abundant telly.

I largely agree tho - after the Joshua Tree Bono went too far with his rants and the music went a bit crap with the odd good song or two.

Adam Clayton getting royalties is a travesty though, three notes on the bass is a bit of a joke....

Never met any of them, unusual for those days, used to be able to get to back stage fairly easily or wait outside the stage door.

Sang and played with Glen Hansard (of the Frames and the movie Once - Falling Slowly) in The Blue Light pub on the Wicklow Mountains in South Dublin when on contract in Sandyford, was kind of an open mike with no mike just everyone sat with guitars. Again, happy days....

I'd no idea it was him at the time....

Used to let any old groupie back stage those days
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Used to let any old groupie back stage those days
        Got a shītload of REM setlists from same period too!

Got quite a few false memories though:

1. I'm sure we saw The Long Ryders about 1985, mate says no, bro says yes.

2. I'm certain we saw 10,000 Maniacs and The Violent Femmes same period, everyone else says no we didn't.

3. Bro says we saw Green on Red, I totally have no memory...

Comment

Got a shītload of REM setlists from same period too!

Got quite a few false memories though:

1. I'm sure we saw The Long Ryders about 1985, mate says no, bro says yes.

2. I'm certain we saw 10,000 Maniacs and The Violent Femmes same period, everyone else says no we didn't.

3. Bro says we saw Green on Red, I totally have no memory
          That proves you were there.

The forgetfulness can be purely put down to sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Yeh
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            That proves you were there.

The forgetfulness can be purely put down to sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Yeh
            Well, lager.......

Comment

Comment

I've got The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' LP in original sleeve, pretty shocking now, there'd be uproar nowadays...

My Scorpions phase led me down the path to Heavy Metal for which I am truly sorry. What was I thinking? All that denim..

I also went though a Psychedelic phase (with actually taking any drugs) wearing a Paisley pattern shirt I bought from the original Afflecks Palace in Manchester, people thought I was just walking about in my Pyjamas.....

Even worse, when US guitar bands came out in the late 80's, when UK music was mostly synths and gaylords I took to wearing checked shirts with those little screw-on V-collar adornments and Rebel flags with boot lace ties around the neck. I must have looked a right dick.

Comment

I've got The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' LP in original sleeve, pretty shocking now, there'd be uproar nowadays....
                  There was, it got the wikipedia page blocked in the UK for a while in 2008

In December 2008, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), a UK-based non-government organization, added the Wikipedia article Virgin Killer to its internet blacklist due to concerns over legality of the image, which had been assessed as the lowest level of legal concern: "erotic posing with no sexual activity".
                  - Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    Who's that?

Comment

I've got The Scorpions 'Virgin Killer' LP in original sleeve, pretty shocking now, there'd be uproar nowadays...

My Scorpions phase led me down the path to Heavy Metal for which I am truly sorry. What was I thinking? All that denim..

I also went though a Psychedelic phase (with actually taking any drugs) wearing a Paisley pattern shirt I bought from the original Afflecks Palace in Manchester, people thought I was just walking about in my Pyjamas.....

Even worse, when US guitar bands came out in the late 80's, when UK music was mostly synths and gaylords I took to wearing checked shirts with those little screw-on V-collar adornments and Rebel flags with boot lace ties around the neck. I must have looked a right dick.
                      The Scorpions knew how to do a good album cover

When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X