• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you stop working / making money ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you stop working / making money ?

So when do you guys stop working/making money? Whats the sweet spot , a point where "OK I'm happy with that x monthly/ xx in bank"? Anyone reached it in life?

Not entirely after figures, but like car , house and food paid - is it enough for anyone? Or you'd constantly add to that list?

Just wonder if I'll ever stop, or die in the process

Are you married?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Are you married?
      haha no but yes!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
        haha no but yes!
        I'd imagine marriage, children and grandchildren would drive the sweet spot, as well as work residence and potential retirement location being elsewhere.

The hard part is the big unknown of life expectancy.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So when do you guys stop working/making money? Whats the sweet spot , a point where "OK I'm happy with that x monthly/ xx in bank"? Anyone reached it in life?

Not entirely after figures, but like car , house and food paid - is it enough for anyone? Or you'd constantly add to that list?

You won't stop, from my observations you are far too greedy for that

Obviously, it doesn't help you are working for substandard rates up North as the work is too hard and challenging for you down South
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            You won't stop, from my observations you are far too greedy for that

Obviously, it doesn't help you are working for substandard rates up North as the work is too hard and challenging for you down South
            Hi mark. missed you.
            Not talking about myself, more about you in this topic. I bet London rates make your warchest comfortable to the point of not working anytime soon ?

Comment

I think you've got it the wrong way around. I am hoping that I will give up work when I've had enough and then I'll look at the money and see what lifestyle I've got. I don't do this to slog on when I'm old and broken chasing a figure, most of which will probably just go to the kids cause I worked myself in to an early grave.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi mark. missed you.
                Not talking about myself, more about you in this topic. I bet London rates make your warchest comfortable to the point of not working anytime soon ?

Hmmmmm, unsure really, over many years contracting my war chest has fluctuated to as low as £20K up to £300K.

I have spent a lot of time travelling as well whilst I have been contracting, which the money allowed me to do.

Difficult to decide what to do next, as I'm pretty sure property prices will be decreasing which may make it worth buying, in fact I'm already seeing that around London.
                Then again, I could do a totally different one and move abroad.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Make hay while the sun shines.

Another £20k and I can pay off the mortgage.

Want a decent war chest after that (min £50k).

Then maybe I will pick up an easy permie gig or just make stuff in my shed.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Make hay while the sun shines.

Another £20k and I can pay off the mortgage.

Want a decent war chest after that (min £50k).

Then maybe I will pick up an easy permie gig or just make stuff in my shed.
                    So your retirement will be that point ? I wouldn't call it sweet

Comment

Working...
                    X