• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When do you stop working / making money ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess once the kids are settled, so many many many years from now!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Oldest child is independent. Next oldest will be independent in about two years, the youngest at the same time. Already cutting back on days worked - planned reduction of income/work by about 30% this year. I'm not yet 50.

My parents have commented that when I and my siblings left home, they suddenly found they had more money than they knew what to do with. And they were teachers!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        My parents have commented that when I and my siblings left home, they suddenly found they had more money than they knew what to do with. And they were teachers!
        Hope you told them the invest it. Should be a nice little pot when you get it
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          So your retirement will be that point ? I wouldn't call it sweet
          Retirement from contracting, yes perhaps.

Sweet will be easy local work for low wage but quality of life.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I usually stop working about 5 minutes after arriving there in the morning...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'd pay off the house, buy a car, have enough invested in shares to pay my annual expenditure +10% from the dividends (around 6% return if investing for dividends) then call it a day. Old age pension will kick in eventually to add a further buffer and trust that overall share prices will grow by inflation over a period.

Comment

You stop working / earning money, when the ex-wife says it is okay for you to die.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  You stop working / earning money, when the ex-wife says it is okay for you to die.

HTH BIDI
                  alternatively, take all your money with you and retire in thailand

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    alternatively, take all your money with you and retire in thailand
                    what would your wife do in thailand?

Comment

I was basing it on a passive income of 50k per year based on savings / investments. Presently getting in 24k passive income. If we were back to 5% interest Id be right on the money, but alas no.

Gig is pretty easy. They're all ready talking extension, though the three years they mentioned earlier in the week can feck off.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X