• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance questions after a road incident!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you involved in an incident like this and waiting on roadside, your instinct will be always to get out of that situation. My breakdown cover was provided by my insurer so I had to get them involved.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why did you tell the insurance in the first place?

Always keep insurance out of it unless you absolutely have to.

Allegedly I ran into the back of a car once and paid for the damage to their car and mine. I pointed out they could go through insurance - but the damage was probably less than the excess. They moaned, God knows why, however accepted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
      Hi All
      Q4. I was in the process of selling this car as part exchange for my new car. My worry is due to this incident my car will show in any database as a car involved in an accident..?? and my new car dealer could refuse to accept this as part exchange car..? Mine is not write off - Bonnet an d windshield replacement only.
      You answered it yourself, because it is not a writeoff, it won't turn up on HPI database.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Why did you tell the insurance in the first place?

Always keep insurance out of it unless you absolutely have to.

Allegedly I ran into the back of a car once and paid for the damage to their car and mine. I pointed out they could go through insurance - but the damage was probably less than the excess. They moaned, God knows why, however accepted it.
        This kind is tricky, because if they want to cash out on whip lash they won't accept. We side scrapped (very tiny scratch) in a car park. The other driver was a relatively new driver. They didn't want to add "claim, other party's fault" so accepted cash. And we're both happy.

Comment

How did the bonnet manage to fly up - did you not close it properly?

If the safety catch failed, maybe the manufacturer should be billed?
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            How did the bonnet manage to fly up - did you not close it properly?

If the safety catch failed, maybe the manufacturer should be billed?
            Either it wasn't closed properly the last time it was opened
            Or there has been a build up of dirt around the mechanism
            Or the latch is no aligned properly
            Etc.
            No matter what, the insurance will claim that the driver had not checked the car was roadworthy before setting off.
            ...in the same way you should check tyre pressure, oil level, windscreen washer fluid, and check that the doors are closed.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Either it wasn't closed properly the last time it was opened
              Or there has been a build up of dirt around the mechanism
              Or the latch is no aligned properly
              Etc.
              No matter what, the insurance will claim that the driver had not checked the car was roadworthy before setting off.
              ...in the same way you should check tyre pressure, oil level, windscreen washer fluid, and check that the doors are closed.
              Must be a crap car if there isn't a sensor to detect it.

Buy a better car OP. Why risk your life in a tulip box?
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

When you involved in an incident like this and waiting on roadside, your instinct will be always to get out of that situation. My breakdown cover was provided by my insurer so I had to get them involved.
                You can get cheaper breakdown cover by not buying it with the insurer.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Q2. My insurer asked me to pay the excess and remaining cost will be covered by them. Will they allow me to keep my NCB intact if I pay the full repair cost..??
                  A bunch of years ago, I had an insurance claim. NCB was not protected. Only the third party suffered loss (a scratch down the side), there wasn't actually any damage to my car.

So when the renewal premium came through massively more due to increased premium and lost NCB, I called the insurance company and asked them what they paid out, which was a small number of hundreds of pounds.

I offered to reimburse the insurance company what they paid out, and they re-instated the NCB. The premium came down by more than what I reimbursed the insurance company.

So in my experience, the answer to Q2 is YES - if you pay the full cost, your NCB should remain intact. Your premium may still go up as you would be considered to be higher risk as you have had an accident, but it wont go up by as much as it would have done if your NCB was not intact.
                  Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Always carry a few rolls of duct tape in the boot. Quick fix. No waiting. No insurance worries. Bob's your uncle....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                      Always carry a few rolls of duct tape in the boot. Quick fix. No waiting. No insurance worries. Bob's your uncle....

the Gifs are strong in this one!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X