• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance questions after a road incident!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incident happened 15+ miles away from home ie after started driving in the morning. I didn't stop in between. If i didn't close it properly it should have opened up straight away, not after 15+ miles.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Either it wasn't closed properly the last time it was opened
    Or there has been a build up of dirt around the mechanism
    Or the latch is no aligned properly
    Etc.
    No matter what, the insurance will claim that the driver had not checked the car was roadworthy before setting off.
    ...in the same way you should check tyre pressure, oil level, windscreen washer fluid, and check that the doors are closed.

Comment

It wasn't a crap car, fully main dealer serviced (5 years) Toyota Avensis. I already agreed exchange price for the car and expecting my new car in March!

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Must be a crap car if there isn't a sensor to detect it.

Buy a better car OP. Why risk your life in a tulip box?

Comment

This is very helpful input. thanks very much

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        A bunch of years ago, I had an insurance claim. NCB was not protected. Only the third party suffered loss (a scratch down the side), there wasn't actually any damage to my car.

So when the renewal premium came through massively more due to increased premium and lost NCB, I called the insurance company and asked them what they paid out, which was a small number of hundreds of pounds.

I offered to reimburse the insurance company what they paid out, and they re-instated the NCB. The premium came down by more than what I reimbursed the insurance company.

So in my experience, the answer to Q2 is YES - if you pay the full cost, your NCB should remain intact. Your premium may still go up as you would be considered to be higher risk as you have had an accident, but it wont go up by as much as it would have done if your NCB was not intact.

Comment

After going through insurance document I found I may not loose full NCB as first claim will reduce only part of NCB. So looks like my NCB will be reduced but will not disappear completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
            Incident happened 15+ miles away from home ie after started driving in the morning. I didn't stop in between. If i didn't close it properly it should have opened up straight away, not after 15+ miles.
            Not necessarily. Speed, road surface, wind, lots of things could have been the final trigger in causing it to fly open. Most car bonnets are heavy enough to stay down if you're driving slowly even if they are not fully closed.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Renault Clio, per chance?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Hi Nicole.

I thought the electrics went on Renaults before the bodywork (I've never owned a Renault for more than 4 years (or 3 ICUs, 4 alternators and 2 batteries, as Renault measure it)

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  I thought that but he's stated it's a Toyota.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Always carry a few rolls of duct tape in the boot. Quick fix. No waiting. No insurance worries. Bob's your uncle....

Wasn't Duct Tape a NASA invention?

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Wasn't Duct Tape a NASA invention?

Nope. They did invent baby formula and cmos sensors (i.e. Phone cameras)

JnJ are responsible for duct tape

Comment

Working...
                      X