• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thank you but what I did say was..

I meant turn up in a suit to interview. I then qualified wearing a suit wasn't the best idea.
    Remember that time I told you to wear a suit and tie on your birthday to an interview and you got all muddled?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Remember that time I told you to wear a suit and tie on your birthday to an interview and you got all muddled?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to northernladyuk again.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post

I remember watching that episode.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's one image I can't unsee.

Comment

Thank you but what I did say was..
            I meant turn up in a suit to interview. I then qualified wearing a suit wasn't the best idea.
            Yes, however, I still assert that turning up for an interview in a suit to a company that actively dresses in a far more informal manner can negatively impact your chances of landing the gig.

Sure, if you absolutely don't know the client's dress code, err on the side of more formal. Go for the suit, tie and jacket. You can always take off the jacket and tie to look slightly less formal. That said, there's no real reason why you can't find out in advance what the expected dress code is and adhere to that. Again, I have been in situations where I've heard the remarks from informal company interviewers after the interview when the suited contractor has been shown the door, which essentially suggested that, despite the technical ability of the candidate, they wouldn't offer them the gig for "being too corporate" and that they "wouldn't gel with the team" due to the cultural differences implied by the differing styles of dress.

Thank you
            And I love you too.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              Yes, however, I still assert that turning up for an interview in a suit to a company that actively dresses in a far more informal manner can negatively impact your chances of landing the gig.

Sure, if you absolutely don't know the client's dress code, err on the side of more formal. Go for the suit, tie and jacket. You can always take off the jacket and tie to look slightly less formal. That said, there's no real reason why you can't find out in advance what the expected dress code is and adhere to that. Again, I have been in situations where I've heard the remarks from informal company interviewers after the interview when the suited contractor has been shown the door, which essentially suggested that, despite the technical ability of the candidate, they wouldn't offer them the gig for "being too corporate" and that they "wouldn't gel with the team" due to the cultural differences implied by the differing styles of dress.

And I love you too.
              Ah OK. Well we will disagree. Just because they are dress down doesn't mean they don't respect a suit for formal meetings. It's the office culture which has a relaxed dress code. It doesn't mean everyone in that office is a suit hater. Dress code for interviews is formal and smart regardless of the culture for working in. They are very different situations IMO.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                Yes, however, I still assert that turning up for an interview in a suit to a company that actively dresses in a far more informal manner can negatively impact your chances of landing the gig. ...
                Absolutely. At a web development shop, for example, where everyone is about 16, an interviewee turning up all togged out like a pox doctor's clerk in a whistle and tie is almost guaranteed not to get the gig, unless they take off their jacket and tie pretty sharpish, preferably in the interview at the start!
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 February 2017, 15:29.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Don't wear a red tie. You ain't Tony Blair.
                  Ha ha - to be fair I did push the boat out and wear a blue one on the next interview.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    If you appear overdressed - ditch the tie before you start, and take off your jacket.
                    This is what i do. Suit + tie for starters, I also go to the site 10-15min earlier and stroll around the area if i'm not familiar with it. If I can see ClientCo personnel walking in and out of the office and they aren't dressed formal I usually pocket the tie and take off my jacket during the interview.

When i get the role always match the local dress code, which is sometimes hard as the current ClientCo has plenty of people with shorts and flip-flops (no vests thank god) in the summer. A bit more bearable during the winter months, but there is still one individual walking around in sandals barefoot.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      This is what i do. Suit + tie for starters, I also go to the site 10-15min earlier and stroll around the area if i'm not familiar with it. If I can see ClientCo personnel walking in and out of the office and they aren't dressed formal I usually pocket the tie and take off my jacket during the interview.

When i get the role always match the local dress code, which is sometimes hard as the current ClientCo has plenty of people with shorts and flip-flops (no vests thank god) in the summer. A bit more bearable during the winter months, but there is still one individual walking around in sandals barefoot.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X