• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Oh I did guess, I am impressed with the speed you found that giff, or is it one you keep handy?
    It's been waiting for a while to be used.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      basic M&S business suit for when the Client is about
      Basic S&M outfit for when the client isn't about.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
        Basic S&M outfit for when the client isn't about.
        Knowing Halo its an advanced S&M outfit.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Knowing Halo its an advanced S&M outfit.
          no comment
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Depends on what you do and the clients culture
            Despite disagreements with NLUK in another thread, he has it absolutely spot on here. Except that he says wearing a suit at an informally dressed company doesn't hurt, but it really can.

You need to find out what the general accepted office dress code is for the client and then match your dress to that, maybe just one notch "smarter" than the usual, but no more.

If you rock up in jeans & t-shirt at a very traditional, staid financial company in the city, it's going to negatively impact your chances to getting the gig.

However, it works the other way, too. If you turn up to some modern, laid-back startup with a ping-pong table and multi-coloured beanbags and staffed full of 20 somethings, in your best suit & tie, there's a good chance that they're going to think of you as far too "corporate" for their culture, which will also negatively impact your chances. I have personally known colleagues who have been dismissed as a candidate because they over dressed for the interview.

Regarding office dress, you have to be like a chameleon.
            Last edited by billybiro; 22 February 2017, 13:47. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              Despite disagreements with NLUK in another thread, he has it absolutely spot on here.

You need to find out what the general accepted office dress code is for the client and then match your dress to that, maybe just one notch "smarter" than the usual, but no more.

Sure, if you rock up in jeans & t-shirt at a very traditional, staid financial company in the city, it's going to negatively impact your chances to getting the gig. However, it works the other way, too. If you turn up to some modern, laid-back startup with a ping-pong table and multi-coloured beanbags and staffed full of 20 somethings, in your best suit & tie, they're going to think of you as far too "corporate" for their culture, which will also negatively impact your chances.

If you appear overdressed - ditch the tie before you start, and take off your jacket.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Despite disagreements with NLUK in another thread, he has it absolutely spot on here. Except that he says wearing a suit at an informally dressed company doesn't hurt, but it really can.

If you rock up in jeans & t-shirt at a very traditional, staid financial company in the city, it's going to negatively impact your chances to getting the gig.

However, it works the other way, too. If you turn up to some modern, laid-back startup with a ping-pong table and multi-coloured beanbags and staffed full of 20 somethings, in your best suit & tie, there's a good chance that they're going to think of you as far too "corporate" for their culture, which will also negatively impact your chances. I have personally known colleagues who have been dismissed as a candidate because they over dressed for the interview.

Still the law of averages says suit wins. If you're certain about a firm's dress code, then of course tone it down a bit.

Comment

It's all about communication.

I tend to call up the company and tell em that I'm going to be wearing jeans, t-shirt and a jacket for the interview. I then advise them to wear something casual and don't go to any trouble for me. Sometimes if I've had a late night on the town I will get in touch and tell them to have strong coffee ready for when I arrive.

If the company shows initiative and has a bacon butty ready for me, then lets just say when it comes down to my decision it could edge it in their favor.

You are interviewing them, that's my attitude.

Comment

Sometimes you might not wish to let the current client know you are interviewing.

Before, I have let the interviewer know I will be dressed smart casual at the interview due to this fact.
                    This was for an IB in Canary Wharf and I got the role
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thank you but what I did say was..

If the client is very dress down it still doesn't do any harm. Just because they dress down it doesn't mean they don't respect you turning up in a suit. If you get the gig then wearing a suit in a dress down office isn't the best idea. Gotta fit in and not alienate yourself. I did that at a client when I started contracting and they called me 'the suit'. Jokingly but I should have know better.
                      I meant turn up in a suit to interview. I then qualified wearing a suit wasn't the best idea.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X