• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my tuppen'orth;

I always wear a smart two-piece to an interview but I don't overdo it if I'm going for a role with a digital agency.

Went for one of these in the past and felt uncomfortably overdressed.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      Just my tuppen'orth;

I always wear a smart two-piece to an interview but I don't overdo it if I'm going for a role with a digital agency.

Went for one of these in the past and felt uncomfortably overdressed.

HTH
      Was everyone else dressed fictionally as well?
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I don't wear a suit but I do wear a smart dress and make sure my tights aren't doing a nora batty. Polished shoes, smart scarf if it's a bit chilly and a discreet handbag.

I think it's far easier for women than men in interviews - it seems to me we have a far wider remit in what's considered smart. I'd hate to have to wear a suit.
        Gingham dress always works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Indeed they are.

Last time i looked i didn't signup to that regime.

Neither did I, but I choose my battles.

I am in the business of making money. If wearing Ozwald Boateng unnecessarily for a day is going to improve my odds, I'll stick it to the man some other time.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Gingham dress always works for me.
            It's embarrassing when other interviewees wear the same though....

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              Neither did I, but I choose my battles.

I am in the business of making money. If wearing Ozwald Boateng unnecessarily for a day is going to improve my odds, I'll stick it to the man some other time.
              I can see why NLYUK recommends you so much.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Most operate dress down Fridays these days if they're not full dress down. Always worth checking.
                Especially if you interview there on a Friday. A couple of times interviewers in t-shirts and jeans have looked confused when I asked about the dress code, until I pointed out it was Friday and they could be in top hats and frock coats the rest of the week for all I knew.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  It's embarrassing when other interviewees wear the same though....

I hear that was a great CUK Christmas party. NAT wants his brush back though.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    .......Gotta fit in and not alienate yourself. I did that at a client ............
                    And the No Tulip Sherlock award goes to........................

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                      And the No Tulip Sherlock award goes to........................
                      That's funny. It's so obvious yet people do it... Quality of trolling me has gone down hill a bit recetly.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X