• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just do a phone interview next time. Much simpler.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Why is it that people think that if someone wears a pair of pants made of the same colour and material as their jacket they are suddenly imbued with special powers?

So is the implication that i can take someone off the streets and put them in a suit and they suddenly have chatacteristics they didnot have before?
      Well, there's a number of films based on that kind of premise so it's not a new one. I think trying to apply logic to social realities just serves to frustrate - the reality is that a certain standard of dress is expected, while also conveying a bunch of unwritten statements. It implies effort, attention to detail, care and some social awareness. The rest comes afterwards, but we're all beholden to first impressions.

And, no matter what you say, you do it too. If you're sat in First Class on a 747 and the Captain walks on looking a hippy who slept rough last night you're going to wonder about his abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Well, there's a number of films based on that kind of premise so it's not a new one. I think trying to apply logic to social realities just serves to frustrate - the reality is that a certain standard of dress is expected, while also conveying a bunch of unwritten statements. It implies effort, attention to detail, care and some social awareness. The rest comes afterwards, but we're all beholden to first impressions.
        Randolph: Pay up, Mortimer. I've won the bet.
        Mortimer: Here, one dollar.
        Randolph: We took a perfectly useless psychopath like Valentine, and turned him into a successful executive. And during the same time, we turned an honest, hard-working man into a violently, deranged, would-be killer!
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

And, no matter what you say, you do it too. If you're sat in First Class on a 747 and the Captain walks on looking a hippy who slept rough last night you're going to wonder about his abilities.
          I am as discerning on Ryanair as in Singapore Suites as to what the pilot wears.

I am more charitable about the cabin crew. Ryanair female cabin crew are referred to as chickens throughout the industry due to the "bleached blonde hair, tied back as tightly as possible in a bun stereotype".

No matter how many scratchcards he or she is trying to sell you, you are looking at someone trained to evacuate close to 200 passengers in minutes.

Oh, and impeccably tailored charcoal suit, single colour tie, and plain shoes. Classic and elegant will fit in anywhere. Leave the submariner and agent cuff links at home.

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Why is it that people think that if someone wears a pair of pants made of the same colour and material as their jacket they are suddenly imbued with special powers?

So is the implication that i can take someone off the streets and put them in a suit and they suddenly have chatacteristics they didnot have before?
          People are going to form a subconscious opinion in an instant and a conscious one seconds later. Hire P-Diddy's (insert current name he is using as necessary) tailor. That guy knows what time it is.
          Last edited by clearedforlanding; 21 February 2017, 21:12.

Comment

I don't wear a suit but I do wear a smart dress and make sure my tights aren't doing a nora batty. Polished shoes, smart scarf if it's a bit chilly and a discreet handbag.

I think it's far easier for women than men in interviews - it seems to me we have a far wider remit in what's considered smart. I'd hate to have to wear a suit.

Comment

Shirt and jeans.

Microsoft once rejected me because "He did not wear a suit on the Interview". Well does Steve Jobs do (did)? And he is times cleverer than you small-hat IT recruiters..

Comment

suit - yes; cufflinks, hat, umbrella, briefcase definite no

Comment

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
                  Shirt and jeans.

Microsoft once rejected me because "He did not wear a suit on the Interview". Well does Steve Jobs do (did)? And he is times cleverer than you small-hat IT recruiters..
                  So, Troll or just mental?

Comment

So, Troll or just mental?
                    If you call Steve Jobs mental, mental I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                      I am as discerning on Ryanair as in Singapore Suites as to what the pilot wears.

I am more charitable about the cabin crew. Ryanair female cabin crew are referred to as chickens throughout the industry due to the "bleached blonde hair, tied back as tightly as possible in a bun stereotype".

No matter how many scratchcards he or she is trying to sell you, you are looking at someone trained to evacuate close to 200 passengers in minutes.

Oh, and impeccably tailored charcoal suit, single colour tie, and plain shoes. Classic and elegant will fit in anywhere. Leave the submariner and agent cuff links at home.

People are going to form a subconscious opinion in an instant and a conscious one seconds later. Hire P-Diddy's (insert current name he is using as necessary) tailor. That guy knows what time it is.
                      Indeed they are.

Last time i looked i didn't signup to that regime.

Comment

Working...
                      X