• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviews - suit/tie or otherwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can wear something other than a suit for interviews?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I always suit up for interviews and first days unless I am 100% sure not required in office, even then shirt and trousers for week 1.

Current clientco is very casual, but I am smart chino's and non offensive t shirt for now. Clocked no Airton though so they may not have been joking about shorts and sandals for later in year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
        I always suit up for interviews and first days unless I am 100% sure not required in office, even then shirt and trousers for week 1.

Current clientco is very casual, but I am smart chino's and non offensive t shirt for now. Clocked no Airton though so they may not have been joking about shorts and sandals for later in year.
        Trousers off for week 2?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Trousers off for week 2?
          Only on Fridays (trousers as opposed to jeans or chino's or a pair of leggings)

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post

Most operate dress down Fridays these days if they're not full dress down. Always worth checking.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by matei View Post
              Hi all...

Recently went on a few interviews for both contract roles and perm roles (the latter to get out of my current skillset and go down slightly different path). Last time I did this was nearly 5 years ago - had a very long gig with last client.

As I do usually, wore a suit and a tie. I've done this all my professional career - but this time around in every interview I got snarky comments re. my suit... i.e. just for the fact that I was wearing one. Has interview etiquette changed that much in 5 years that people dress differently? Business casual? Track suits? S&M garb?

It wasn't just the permies that made the comments - contractors as well. And it wasn't as if I was wearing some outlandish suit either - just an off-the-rack grey M&S suit, with a red tie.

I realise that some of my skills might be out of date after such a long stint with the last client... but surely basic interview dress hasn't change, no?
              Don't wear a red tie. You ain't Tony Blair.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Best tea-cosy.

Comment

Why is it that people think that if someone wears a pair of pants made of the same colour and material as their jacket they are suddenly imbued with special powers?

So is the implication that i can take someone off the streets and put them in a suit and they suddenly have chatacteristics they didnot have before?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Why is it that people think that if someone wears a pair of pants made of the same colour and material as their jacket they are suddenly imbued with special powers?

So is the implication that i can take someone off the streets and put them in a suit and they suddenly have chatacteristics they didnot have before?
                    Totally agree, but you have to play the game. I always dress down for telephone interviews though.

Comment

Dress how you want if the people interviewing you see a suit as a superman cape you should walk away.

Comment

Working...
                      X