• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crap interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    But how was it for you?

Dangerous and knackering generally .

Obviously, there was quite a bit of entertainment value when some of the locally hired help squared up to some of the Irish gang at tea breaks.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I wanted to get into IT so was sent for an interview for a trainee position. Upon arrival it quickly became apparent that this was a security job. "You'll be guarding a computer installation". I made my excuses and left, with the words "We will provide you with a detachable tie - in case anyone tried to strangle you" hanging in the air.

Comment

Went for an interview a few years ago and for some reason the interviewer took an instant dislike to me, and me him too. And so halfway through when I was asking some perfectly normal questions and getting blank looks back, I suggested we just cut the interview short and left it there.

Comment

In the early 80s went for an interview where the interviewer was a Heinrich Himmler lookalike, steely eyes behind round glasses. (Think Donald Pleasance in that film The Eagle Has Landed")

He started by laying a pair of pens on the table, one black and the other red, and after each question would purse his lips look intently at the pens and pick up one or the other to make a note on his clipboard.

I don't recall whether or not I was offered the job, but if so I certainly never accepted the offer.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Went for an interview a few years ago and for some reason the interviewer took an instant dislike to me, and me him too. And so halfway through when I was asking some perfectly normal questions and getting blank looks back, I suggested we just cut the interview short and left it there.

At least you weren't in the uncomfortable position of liking him and him not liking you
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

"If you would compare yourself to a car, what make and model would it be, and why"

that was after 2 telephone interviews, and they had called me in for a face to face, then decided I wasn't what they were looking for...

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post
                "If you would compare yourself to a car, what make and model would it be, and why"

that was after 2 telephone interviews, and they had called me in for a face to face, then decided I wasn't what they were looking for...
                "If you could do anything in the world what would it be?"

For a job on a trading desk with an American bank. Still no idea what the interviewer was trying to get at.

Comment

Ironically the only unsuccessful interview I've ever had was the one that lead me into contracting, a career path that I'd never previously considered.

At the time I was tech director of a small IT firm and fed up with the owner's cavalier attitude towards, well, everything really. Went for an interview at another firm for a Lead Dev-type role (on paper a step down but in reality a very similar role). Was interviewed by their tech director who basically said I was over-qualified for the role and with my skills/experience why wasn't I contracting. Didn't get the gig but then managed to get a contract role through some local connections and never looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    "If you could do anything in the world what would it be?"

For a job on a trading desk with an American bank. Still no idea what the interviewer was trying to get at.
                    Be an Eccentric Millionaire is my stock answer

Comment

Originally posted by Pherlopolus View Post

Mercedes E Class Estate, so I could fit your missus in for a good seeing to.

Comment

Working...
                      X