• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ever loving EU again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    actually we only know one line will do it because it went to court and the Judges specified it would that was in December. Your position looks ridiculous.
    and who was responsible for this farce ?

It is clear, especially, after publishing the white paper that the EU is going to run rings round the UK. The white paper is completely farcical, what's written in it is so detached from reality, it just beggars belief.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      The EU have been requesting the UK to invoke article 50 for the last 7 months, one line on a piece of paper would suffice, and you know what, the UK government can't manage it, how pathetic. If they had all these problems could have been resolved. A country that having promised to resign the day after the referendum and then "fannies" around for 7 months is hardly likely to be fit to put together a trade deal.

From invocation, there is a two year period before the UK leaves the EU. That is fixed, unless all parties agree an extension.

It would be reckless in the extreme if the UK had not prepared in advance of the talks. May has made it clear from the start of her PMship that she intended to invoke A50 by the end of March. The court case, the Commons scrutiny, and now the Lords scrutiny all have to be completed beforehand.

I find it odd that you consider this to be "fannying around".

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Why is it a "provided"? The two don't have to be connected; the UK can do what it wants to do. To do what it's doing is using people, many of whom have been here and paid taxes here for decades, as bargaining chips.
        Imagine a situation where the UK grants permanent residency to all EU nationals living here, only for the EU to block the same thing in Europe. The UK government would fall within days of such a monumental tactical blunder.

In the real world, I suspect that this is an issue that will be rubber-stamped within the first few days, if not hours, of the talks starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
          Imagine a situation where the UK grants permanent residency to all EU nationals living here, only for the EU to block the same thing in Europe. The UK government would fall within days of such a monumental tactical blunder.
          I think they could easily defend it in terms of doing the right thing, and the thing that's right for Britain, which it is. It's the nutcases that want to use this as a bargaining position with the EU whilst simultaneously complaining about the EU using this as a bargaining position against the UK.

No doubt The Daily Mail would be up in arms, as would the CUK Kipper Collective, but when aren't they?

In the real world, I suspect that this is an issue that will be rubber-stamped within the first few days, if not hours, of the talks starting.
          I imagine so too.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I think you'll find there is an enormous amount of indifference in the EU about Brexit. There is very little in the newspapers, very few TV discussion shows and no-one is talking about it.

When the British Government starts trying to push for trade talks I think they're going to face a wall of apathy, and the general attitude is if Britain falls out of the EU and all the lorries are blocked at the border, that's their problem.

Strange its one of the most common topics covered when I'm eating out in evenings...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              From invocation, there is a two year period before the UK leaves the EU. That is fixed, unless all parties agree an extension.

It would be reckless in the extreme if the UK had not prepared in advance of the talks. May has made it clear from the start of her PMship that she intended to invoke A50 by the end of March. The court case, the Commons scrutiny, and now the Lords scrutiny all have to be completed beforehand.

I find it odd that you consider this to be "fannying around".
              ORLY?

Remainers and fannies cover common ground. Nuff said.

To consider the UK to be taking a reasonable amount of time over this, while following due process, is just an inconvenience that remainers like to chuck out as fannying around.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I think they could easily defend it in terms of doing the right thing
                That is "I have in my hand a piece of paper" politics.

Might work in La La Land, but not in the real world.

HTH BIDI

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  We WILL guarantee EU nationals' status in the UK, but the EU WON'T commit to a reciprocal arrangement.

HTH BIDI

Has this been said, definitively? I know they were refusing to state that last week, hadn't realised they'd changed their status following seemingly all the amendment to the Brexit Bill being ignored...

Even so, to complain that the EU won't commit to it a mere few days after the UK chose to, when the UK spent months refusing to commit to it, isn't much better. It's not like we said it all along and the evil EU refused to reciprocate.
                  Last edited by d000hg; 14 February 2017, 18:04.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    actually we only know one line will do it because it went to court and the Judges specified it would that was in December. Your position looks ridiculous.
                    And your position:

Two drivers driving down the motorway. Drive A deliberately crashes into driver B. Driver A refuses to show their insurance details until driver B presents his insurance details first. Driver B is like WTF? Driver A takes umbrage and complains endlessly at the unfair treatment towards them.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      And your position:

Two drivers driving down the motorway. Drive A deliberately crashes into driver B. Driver A refuses to show their insurance details until driver B presents his insurance details first. Driver B is like WTF? Driver A takes umbrage and complains endlessly at the unfair treatment towards them.
                      Driver B calls the police, problem solved you utter buffoon.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X