• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Find title deeds, boundaries for a property?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that is what was called a 'postcode search'. I only know this as the solicitors who I used for my house purchase sent the search to the wrong local authority first time around ...

Something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The Land Registry is a few minutes walk up the road from me - would you like me to pop in and ask them on my way to town?
      Do you pass a Greggs?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Do you pass a Greggs?
        Yes

Comment

Did they need a mortgage to buy the property? If so, it would be usual for the mortgagees to retain and store the documents.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Yes
            Liar. You've never passed a Greggs in your life.

Pick us up a cheese and onion pasty, will you love?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              From that post:

I'm buying some additional land as part of the transaction. Turns out that the piece of land doesn't appear to be registered to the vendor ( or anyone else) so I can't buy it and have it registered in my name until that's cleared up. ...
              If land isn't registered, what is (or was) to prevent you simply registering it in your own name without having to buy it from anyone?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                From that post:

If land isn't registered, what is (or was) to prevent you simply registering it in your own name without having to buy it from anyone?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft#United_Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  It appears you can but someone may come forward later with a deed proving you wrong. In such cases it appears indemnity insurance is quite common.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    A potential buyer for my late parents' house is asking to see the land boundaries. While they probably had the deeds somewhere they'll be in a filing cabinet somewhere (possible beware of the leopard sign) 500 miles away in deepest Cornwall!

How's about old-fashioned paper/vellum(?) deeds in the strongroom of your late parents' solicitors.
                    That's where mine were/are.

Comment

I need to find who the solicitor is first!

I should be down there in a few weeks so spending serious time/money on a solution isn't worth it but it's still not ideal when a potential buyer wants to see it before making an offer (I have no idea unless they've been stung like BBP in the past)
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X