• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The ship is sinking. The rats are leaving...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You voted leave because of humanitarian crisis brought about in part by our foreign policy to bring to an end a 42 year relationship?

Is that not like Scotland leaving the UK because of a failed Tory policy in a single term (not to mentioned their failed handling of the debt crisis)?
    I voted leave because the fundamental structure of the EU is incapable of managing itself adequately in a crisis. There is too much dichotomy and too little leadership. The leadership there is is not equal; everyone wants to know what Merkel is go say and do. Either the EU goes back to the EEC (which did work) or it integrates further and becomes the United States of Europe. But that's not for me personally. I don't want to be part of the USE.
    Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 12 February 2017, 12:14.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      I voted leave because the fundamental structure of the EU is incapable of managing itself adequately in a crisis. There is too much dichotomy and to little leadership. The leadership there is is not equal; everyone wants to know what Merkel is go say and do. Either the EU goes back to the EEC (which did work) or it integrates further and becomes the United States of Europe. But that's not for me personally. I don't want to be part of the USE.
      Surely you mean EU-SSR...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I voted leave because the fundamental structure of the EU is incapable of managing itself adequately in a crisis..
        Fair enough. Know many folk who left the family home for similar reasons.

It'll be interesting to see when the UK manages the 2008 financial crisis, the exploding immigration crisis, the housing crisis, or the NHS crisis, or the lack of defence crisis, the energy crisis, the failing train network crisis, gosh almost forgot the £1.8 trillion debt crisis, the democracy crisis...

Crisises, so subjective eh?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Fair enough. Know many folk who left the family home for similar reasons.

It'll be interesting to see when the UK manages the 2008 financial crisis, the exploding immigration crisis, the housing crisis, or the NHS crisis, or the lack of defence crisis, the energy crisis, the failing train network crisis, gosh almost forgot the £1.8 trillion debt crisis, the democracy crisis...

Crisises, so subjective eh?
          Yes, but we can hold our ministers to account through a general election.

I didn't vote for Junker.

Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 12 February 2017, 12:21.

Comment

Yes, but we can hold our ministers to account through a general election.
            Not so sure. People vote blue or red. The mainstream parties differ little. People will not vote for what the believe because defeat is known. So instead vote down the party you don't want has become the norm. In this type of democracy change is very much at the back of the queue. A good reason, in part, why major infrastructure projects never get off the ground, so to speak.

Since Scotland denounced labour a number of major infrastructure projects have got underway with the budget they're afforded.

In the time HS2 has been discussed a new Boarders railway has been built as well as a new bridge crossing the Firth of Forth. Scottish transport projects will cost £7.5bn over 30 years - BBC News
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Not so sure. People vote blue or red. The mainstream parties differ little. People will not vote for what the believe because defeat is known. So instead vote down the party you don't want has become the norm. In this type of democracy change is very much at the back of the queue. A good reason, in part, why major infrastructure projects never get off the ground, so to speak.

Since Scotland denounced labour a number of major infrastructure projects have got underway with the budget they're afforded.

In the time HS2 has been discussed a new Boarders railway has been built as well as a new bridge crossing the Firth of Forth. Scottish transport projects will cost £7.5bn over 30 years - BBC News
              There is plenty wrong with our government, and democracy in the UK. But it is OUR democracy and OUR government. They are accountable. The EU is not!

Comment

There is plenty wrong with our government, and democracy in the UK. But it is OUR democracy and OUR government. They are accountable. The EU is not!
                WHS.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

So what if it isn't?

The EU is only 40 years old. Lets fix it. Lets not run away. By comparison the UK is 300 years old, what's our excuse? Back in the day before 1832 only landlords who reached a certain waste size were allowed to vote. And then it took an age and a half before woman had the same right. Are we inpatient, resentful, or perhaps hate it when others succeed where we have failed?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    He's a presumptuous little bugger isn't he. His snout is deeper in the trough than most, such that even his fellow troughers (MEPs) probably wouldn't have wanted him back for a second term anyway.

(Cue the remoaner trolls...)
                    And in the process has consigned millions in Europe to poverty. I look forward to Nuremburg 2. I hope he swings.

Comment

I thought long and hard whether the EU would/could change with the UK on the inside. After Cameron's failed renegotiation combined with weak handling of the migrant crisis and debt crisis - all of which had great opportunities for reform - I came to the conclusion that the EU is incapable of reforming.
                      Indeed this was one of the main things that encouraged me to vote leave.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X