• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit bill passed into law, House of Lords to go.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It is not uncommon for referendums to have such a skewing, especially when the choice is between changing or not. For example, votes on independence in various places have required 2/3 majority. A 60/40 win either way would have put the nail in the losers' arguments, pretty much. EU referendum: 'Anything less than 60/40 for remain puts Brexit back on the agenda'

It's to ensure that there's no arguments like "if you conducted the referendum now, you'd get a different result".

However, Cameron probably didn't want to do a 60% because it would have looked as if he was worried he'd lose. Once again demonstrating how he put his own political position before the good of the country.

Democracy has many forms and "all votes being equal" is only one of them. You seem very politically naive. You really should do some studying
    Bless. You know I can't read. Pictures only.

Perish the thought that we actually has a fair rather than skewed referendum.

Comment

Don't put ideas into their heads

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        WTF would we need a 60% vote to leave? Democracy is one person one vote. Everyone equal, not skewed 60/40 in favour of one side.
        The Uk is not a democracy. The House of Commons is not elected by PR but by an archaic first past the post constituency system. It has an unelected head of State and the House of Lords is something from the middle ages

Comment

It is not uncommon for referendums to have such a skewing, especially when the choice is between changing or not. For example, votes on independence in various places have required 2/3 majority. A 60/40 win either way would have put the nail in the losers' arguments, pretty much. EU referendum: 'Anything less than 60/40 for remain puts Brexit back on the agenda'

It's to ensure that there's no arguments like "if you conducted the referendum now, you'd get a different result".

However, Cameron probably didn't want to do a 60% because it would have looked as if he was worried he'd lose. Once again demonstrating how he put his own political position before the good of the country.

Democracy has many forms and "all votes being equal" is only one of them. You seem very politically naive. You really should do some studying
          Perhaps, maybe this should have been discussed ahead of the referendum? It does come across as sour grapes discussing it now.

So if indi2 gets a 50.01% leave the UK majority, do would you make the same 60:40 observation?
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

There you go.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              The Uk is not a democracy. The House of Commons is not elected by PR but by an archaic first past the post constituency system. It has an unelected head of State and the House of Lords is something from the middle ages
              And those were the rules. They were also the rules when we had to put up with 13 years of the Blair Brown disaster.

Interesting that you mention PR though as the referendum was done on the every single vote counts basis that PR aspires to.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

There you go.
                Proves my point.

Out of those who were eligible and bothered, the majority voted to leave. Thank you.

Comment

Proves my point.

Out of those who were eligible and bothered, the majority voted to leave. Thank you.
                  If you didn't vote, you are irrelevant. If you couldn't vote you are either too young or a criminal.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

<Sensible, well expalined stuff>

Perish the thought that we actually has a fair rather than skewed referendum.
                    I'd give up NAT. Does anyone else want to gave a go or do we just leave him to wallow enjoyably in his ignorance?

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Democracy does not imply PR or that every person is directly elected. I'm with you on the Lords to an extent but we've seen recently checks and balances like the Lords and the High Court prevent a government bludgeoning things through.

Perhaps read a little history about our system (this advice goes for myself too) rather than just getting your views and 'facts' from FaceBook memes?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                      Perhaps, maybe this should have been discussed ahead of the referendum? It does come across as sour grapes discussing it now.

So if indi2 gets a 50.01% leave the UK majority, do would you make the same 60:40 observation?
                      I asked him that too. He doesn't answer awkward questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X